a flock of arras

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

stringnstik

a flock of arras

#1 Post by stringnstik » Tue May 26, 2009 8:26 am

Ok here they are all ready to be lost broken or otherwise loosed at the up coming BG 3d.

Tried some new techniques both with fletching and painting, read on if your interested and as addicted as I am to arra cresting.

From Left to right.
2 Green spiral flu flus.
1 Red sprial flu flu, 1 red layered fluflu
Alyce clout/3d (orange)
2 spare clout/3d(purple)
4 purple fluflu (6 fletch)
2 spare clout/3d(blue)
4 blue fluflu (6 fletch)

coordination, colour combination or artistic preference gave way to research..ie I wanted to test things not make em look too pretty:)

spiral.
Both the green and red flus were spray painted in an effort to get a speckled effect and on one I attempted a spiral paint job with two interwoven tints(because one is easy!! I was trying to attempt a bright line with dark background..not so easy to sync spirals :lol). Modlers spray gun works ok but its only a cheapy and the droplets were a tad large and the nozzle had no shape control. After application it does require a Steel Wool Rub to smooth out. Best was to lightly swr, then top coat clear, then a decent swr and then another top coat. Doesnt show in the picture but the yellow bands look nice amongst the green. The metallic green bands hardly show up :( However they did not run when top coat was applied so maybe its only the copper metallic paint that does this (see other posts).
I interwove the green full feathers, a barred and light green. A little trickier than layering or one after the other but I think it looks nicer (see the red one foreground).

Alyce arrows. (for newbie archer)
Again spray painted, orange underneath and purple patch ontop.The orange was a previous acrylic artists paint purchased which would not brush on and had ended up on the no good bin. However I mixed it down with water and it sprayed very nicely. You cant tell from the image but there is a distinct lack of brush marks as opposed to the purple n blue. Fletching..yeah well I was running our of feathers

Purple n Blue
I tired a different sequence. White on purple rather than under coat white then purple ontop leaving gaps of white where the bands will go. I thought it would be easier but the white does not cover the purple well..
I also did not paint the front half of the shaft. This I decking oil/danish. It slips in and out of targets better than my top coat clear. The fletching was made up of alternate white and purple barred...or white and black for the blue arras.

To be honest Im glad I dont have to go home tonight to tinker with arras :) But it was fun at the time.

I much prefer the slightly more expensive but softer artists brushes from bunnings. The darker ones as compared to the cheap light cream brown ones.
I use the Mr hobby paints for the bands and anything else everywhere else.literally, bunnings have miss tinted tins for $1-$10 sometimes. The top coat ultra clear stuff sprays on much easier than brushing. All painting done in my cresting jig lathe.

Total job took about 10 cups of tea much thanks to mrsstringnstik for bringing them out to me.
Attachments
A flock of arras
A flock of arras
BGshoot_aras.jpg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

g_r

Re: a flock of arras

#2 Post by g_r » Tue May 26, 2009 9:19 am

wow! they look very nice. i never shot flu flus but they look..............special with that kind of fletching. how is their flight, different to normal flu flus?

i hope you shoot better than me otherwise you´ll be in building again real soon.. :roll:
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

stringnstik

#3 Post by stringnstik » Tue May 26, 2009 10:19 am

Good question :)
There are about 4 types of flu flu fletching that I know of and so far I have only previously built the helical(toilet brush) like one. Im yet to compare how they and the 6 fletched fly. Ill know so on the w/e :)
"twang....thud"

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Tue May 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Very nice Stringnstik! 8)

The dunny brush type flu-flus don't go as far as the 6 fletched ones, which is good. They fly well out to about 30 metres and then pull up very quickly. I actually prefer the way they perform over the other types of flu-flus. They only have one major problem and that's longetivity. It's almost impossible to keep them looking good, as the fletches can't lie down they soon become bent and scraggy looking. I suppose if you take really good care of them they should last as long as anything else.

From a purely asthetic perspective, the 6 fletch flu-flus a easily the winners though. :D

Any flu-flu looks great sticking out of a bowbird, especially when it's your's. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

MrsStringnstik

#5 Post by MrsStringnstik » Tue May 26, 2009 4:48 pm

..hmmmm ... just a thought, but, anyone else notice how he keeps grumbling about how much time he has to spend making arras for us all... & yet he manages to keep playing with different styles & making 'em prettier!?!? :lol:
"There will of course be no mention of the rumour that Mrs stringnstik shot better than I did." Stringnstik!!

Len

#6 Post by Len » Tue May 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Crackin arras mate, looking forward to seeing them in action on Sunday :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

hue

#7 Post by hue » Tue May 26, 2009 9:12 pm

very pretty Mark!
will they fly well though?
will you make them accurate?
heh, heh, heh!!!!!!!!!

Hue
I can only be who I am

stringnstik

#8 Post by stringnstik » Wed May 27, 2009 7:44 am

hue wrote:very pretty Mark!
will they fly well though?
will you make them accurate?
heh, heh, heh!!!!!!!!!

Hue
I guess that will depend on whether Apollo and Wuldor look down upon my humble offerings :)
"twang....thud"

Stephen Georgiou

#9 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Wed May 27, 2009 1:06 pm

great looking arras mark. Are the pink ones yours as well??
not that i mind pink arras.
Just wondering :)
If you made orange ones it would help continue the theme. :wink: