Slippery leather grip

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

stringnstik

Slippery leather grip

#1 Post by stringnstik » Thu May 14, 2009 8:18 am

Hi all,
Decided to change the grip leather on my intanature Viper. Wanted the suede feel, which looks real sexy on the handle and feels super but the shiny side of the leather (now against the wood) is slipping a little. Just every now and then I hear a creak just as Im about to let fly.

I thought this might happen, the leather is stretched pretty tight and I didnt want to glue for fear of making a mess on the wood next time I have to replace the leather.

I guess Ill have to unlace the leather and trickle a dap of contact goop just to help it cling.

Strangely I did the wife's one as well but left it suede/flesh side in and it does not slip.

Or maybe all this is telling me Im not gripping the bow right?
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

longbow steve

Re: Slippery leather grip

#2 Post by longbow steve » Thu May 14, 2009 8:51 am

Hi Vis, :) When I use suede it doesnt have the shiny side. I wet the leather with warm water and mould it to the bow and allow to dry.
I trim off excess a little smaller than final dimension then stitch. Steve

longbowinfected

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Thu May 14, 2009 9:09 am

HiVis,
The way Steve did my grip.......they do not moove. Works well even if used in the rain.
I only grip my bow lightly with first two fingers and thumb, with my wrist cocked upwards. The bow really only rests between my fingers and thumb and the force of the draw pushes the bow hard against the pad below my thumb in a straight line with my forearm, relying upon a bowsling to keep the bow from flying out of my hand.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Thu May 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Two sided tape works well.
The tape I have is about 20mm wide. You can run a couple of strips or cover the leather. Comes in handy when the leather on the shelf needs replacing.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

giaCAMO FLAGEioli

#5 Post by giaCAMO FLAGEioli » Thu May 14, 2009 6:51 pm

maybe some "elastoplast " tape stuck onto bow might give a more grippy base , though might bulk up the hand grip area too much for your liking , or the "elastoplast " type band- aids , in strategic places , so as not to give a bulkier feel ,

Stephen Georgiou

#6 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Thu May 14, 2009 11:36 pm

Took the leather off my bow for these reasons.
natural timber will increase its grip in the rain
If its hot and dry it wont get greasy from your sweat
If it is dry you can spit on your bow hand and get plenty of grip.
Axe and shovel handles don't use any covers either for the same reasons
Natural timber feels real nice in the hand as well.
Give it a try without and just see.... :)