I get knocked down...but I get up again....

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Brumbies Country

I get knocked down...but I get up again....

#1 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue May 12, 2009 8:18 am

There's a song with that as the first line. It sums up my first bow made from a log stave, the elm that I've been asking questions about. Got to tillering it Sunday after having roughed it out then got close to the dimensions of the Meare Heath, originally from the Bent Stick and with good information from members of this forum. I'd originally split the log unevely so just over a third of the thickness I made this bow from so I had very hard heartwood running into softer sapwood by the time I had it to the original dimensions. I had heartwood along the belly and that extended eventually to one tip. The other limb towards the end had heartwood and sapwood. Predictably, the bend in the mixed limb was markedly more than the other limb. To be honest it did look to be a potential problem from the start. It didn't break, but it's unuseable and any amount of compensatory tillering won't correct it.

I've learn't plenty. I've got a more useable elm stave left, but in the meantime I've started another Meare Heath, this time with hickory. Get this one to work and then I'll go back to the elm.

Simon

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: I get knocked down...but I get up again....

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue May 12, 2009 10:29 am

A learning curve mate. All the best with the next one. :D

Jeff

Brumbies Country

#3 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue May 12, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks Jeff

Been a steep one so far :lol: but what an absorbing and enjoyable way to go.

Simon

Graeme K

#4 Post by Graeme K » Tue May 12, 2009 12:44 pm

Sound like you are having fun -- the best part is the learning bit and fortunately that goes on for quite a while.

Graeme

Brumbies Country

#5 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue May 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Have to admit Graeme that a short time ago I wouldn't have thought that a bow breaking round my head and another that has an ugly incorrectable bend amounts to fun, but it has been :lol: . Silly thing is I thought from the word go that this particular elm bow likely wouldn't make it but just had to give it a go. Learn't plenty!

I reckon it's likely that if you play around with enough woods you probably never stop learning. I can see that as part of the attraction.

Simon

Len

#6 Post by Len » Tue May 12, 2009 4:34 pm

G'day Simon, try and avoid the heart wood if you can with timbers like elm and ash, stick with the white wood. I've stained a couple of ashbows up for hunting, one green for my six year old son, and they come up well. I once made one black and it looked great but absorbed a lot of heat on a warm day.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Brumbies Country

#7 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue May 12, 2009 4:50 pm

G'day Len and thanks for the advice. Yes poor choice re using that particular stave. The next one should give me plenty more sapwood. The heartwood looks particularly stiff.

Simon

Brumbies Country

#8 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue May 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Len wrote:G'day Simon, try and avoid the heart wood if you can with timbers like elm and ash, stick with the white wood. I've stained a couple of ashbows up for hunting, one green for my six year old son, and they come up well. I once made one black and it looked great but absorbed a lot of heat on a warm day.
I meant to comment on the staining. I hadn't thought about it but interesting your comment on black absorbing heat on a warm day. Any implications for increased string follow?

Simon

Len

#9 Post by Len » Tue May 12, 2009 5:11 pm

Yep, thats what happened. It took an extra 10 - 20 mm of string follow after a hot afternoon's shooting in the sun. Keep in mind the bow was jet black, a brown or green bow will be fine, I've had no trouble with any of my other stained bows.
Hmmmmmmm.............