Vertical bamboo

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

waxer

Vertical bamboo

#1 Post by waxer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:16 pm

A friend has given me some 72" by about 2and3/4" x 1/2" bullnose bamboo stair capping, vertical bamboo caramel colour so guess it is heat treated .Question would like to try to make a flat bow from it around 30 lbs anyone have thoughts on dimensions I would like to keep it to around 70" as I have a 31" draw.It is about 2"wide if you cut the bullnose off it leaving a flat plank ,or am I just wasting my time .Thanks

ichiban

Re: Vertical bamboo

#2 Post by ichiban » Fri May 01, 2009 7:13 am

i have never made a flat bow from bamboo so im not sure about specs but i would assume you wouldnt have to use the full 2" width especialy if its 70" long, maby 1.5?
you could also split it up the center and glue in a perry reflex and make an English longbow
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

gilnockie

#3 Post by gilnockie » Fri May 01, 2009 7:18 pm

Vertical bamboo is normally used as a core in a laminated bow with glass on the back and the belly.

I think you will find that if you use only the vertical bamboo it will make a very light bow, that it will take condsiderable set and that it may splinter on the back.

But hey, give it a go. What have you got to lose?

I would glue a shaped grip into the middle of the plank, taper each limb from 2" to half an inch in width and taper the limbs in thickness to 3/8" at the nock.

If the bow is too heavy, tiller it by removing material from the belly. Taper the tips to about 1/4" in thickness at the nocks.

If it is too light, shorten the limbs and if necessary taper the limbs in width again.

If the bow devlops into one which you like to shoot, glue some silk to the back. That should stop any tendency to splinter.
Norman

Draw, anchor, loose.

Mububban

#4 Post by Mububban » Tue May 05, 2009 10:15 pm

My 50lb boo board flatbow has held together well with a moderate amount of use with no splintering etc, but the bowyer who helped me make it said the piece we used was an exceptionally nice floorboard. I'm planning on backing all future bows I make with the boards with linen or something to help them survive.

ichiban

#5 Post by ichiban » Fri May 08, 2009 7:57 am

yeah i have found that bamboo will take huge amounts of set befor breaking, and it dosent seem to chrissal?? but hey im working on a full draw 60" recurvey thing atm so ill post pics if it lasts
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy