hemp string

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

jape

hemp string

#1 Post by jape » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Just found a source for hemp string, ecological, natural, longfibre. Coloured and uncoloured, waxed or unwaxed. What's more, it is very cheap at $6 for 60 and 90 metre balls! They also have a 100# tested twine, costs more but.
http://www.beegreen.com.au/products.asp?id=137

otis.drum

Re: hemp string

#2 Post by otis.drum » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:34 pm

would you flemish twist two lengths of the hundred pound?

i wonder how thick it is?
...otis...

jape

#3 Post by jape » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:42 pm

I shall tell you when it arrives, I got the ordinary balls (the 90 meter is very fine thread) to twist up and try, not the 100# test.

I also have some long-strand nettle fibre (ramia) to try from elsewhere.
Slowly getting around to an all primitive setup.
I have shafts, stone heads, natural feathers, wattle pitch, string materials - just need to make a primitive bow in a primitive way! Can't be 100% primitive when flying materials around the world, but not far off.

otis.drum

#4 Post by otis.drum » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:44 pm

what is your primative bow going to be?
...otis...

jape

#5 Post by jape » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:29 pm

Otis, the timber round here is yellow box and peppermint unfortunately, with some stringy bark and what may be a sugar gum, also silver wattle and blackwood representing the acacias, not that I am a hundred percent sure of identification. Some European ash and large white(haw)thorn tucked away in corners ... :lol: I may be able to get a couple of bits from.

I have tried drying a few local staves in different ways (whole, split, sealed) with no success, always get checking and splits. Most full of gum veins too. Poor ground, poor growth. But 100km north of here is a lot of grey-box forest and some ironbark so when I am up that way I shall get some and try them. The idea is a simple light longbow, self-bow of course. Or a sapling bow.

I just want a small whippy longbow for personal reasons made from primitive natural materials. Not in any hurry but I like to gather bits and pieces as I go then one day it all comes together.

otis.drum

#6 Post by otis.drum » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:03 pm

nice. i've had good results with the stringy if you can get any decent staves. i get mine from the mill though as i found staves from sapplings hard to find without knots and when i did cut my own i was too impatient and broke them before they were dry.
...otis...