more arrows and another jig

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

stringnstik

more arrows and another jig

#1 Post by stringnstik » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:03 am

For those that saw my latest batch of arrows in flight at the Leongatha shoot I thought Id put up my new cresting jig. I didnt have allot of time to crest this batch but all painting was done on the jig and proof of the pudding was completed.

The motor is the guts out of an old cordless drill which had a dead battery. I mounted the motor into a block of wood which id cut to fit perfectly into the aluminium u channel.
I can slide this in the guttering for different length shafts its held in place by a simple clamp.
The chuck on the drill can hold tapered, non tapered and field pointed arrows. I re did the electronic throttle so I can slave a switch and speed control to a foot pedal as well as on the bench as shown. Most of the cheap cordless drills operate from 0-500rpm so we get our target 300 via the adjuster. (silver shaft on grey box) or the foot pedal (not shown).
Operation is easy;
Taper nock end of shaft and sand/steel wool the shaft smooth.
1)loose chuck,
2)shaft in, tighten chuck and then tada the star of the show... the spring loaded bearing at the other end. Some explanation..
The right hand half moon knob is pulled back which moves the bearing (left side).
3)Place the shaft end(which is tapered for the nock or already has nock glued in) into the centre of the bearing. Release the knob and the spring holds the shaft in the bearing which allows it to spin true.
This is so much quicker than my original setup. the photo makes it look like the shaft is bowing under the strain of the spring. This is not an accurate representation. Either its an optical illusion or I was rushing for the photograph. The spring is light and applies very little load. Again the block is held in place by a clamp which can quickly adjust to accept different length shafts.

What you dont see is the perspex cover which clips into the back of the channel which comes over and sits above the shaft and has cresting marks. Not seen..cause I havent finished that bit yet :) But my mockup works well.

Some more info on paints.
some may recall the trouble I had with paints.. well now I often grab any old paint from bunnings (miss tinted paints can be had for a song) and do well as the cap. Im still using the hobby modellers paints for the crests tho.
The top coat has changed a pit. That super UV environmental friendly expensive stuff I used is fine but I noted binds well with 3d animals :( and seeing as I do manage to hit a few leaves ugly black n brown marks on the pointy end.
So this time I only used that on the cap/crests and I used cheap decking oil for the front half. Comes out of targets real sweet and dirt just falls off.
Attachments
Arrows that never got to cresting stage cause I ran out of time but the proof of concept was all done and dusted.
Arrows that never got to cresting stage cause I ran out of time but the proof of concept was all done and dusted.
100_2675.jpg (102.71 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
The jig end on.
The jig end on.
crst_jig_lng.jpg (29.08 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
Old cordless drill guts and new electronic throttle.
Old cordless drill guts and new electronic throttle.
crst_jig_mtr.jpg (36.45 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
The bearing end. A tapered shaft rests in the middle of typical bearing. The outer part of the bearing is housed in a metal tube. inside another tube which is spring loaded.
The bearing end. A tapered shaft rests in the middle of typical bearing. The outer part of the bearing is housed in a metal tube. inside another tube which is spring loaded.
crst_jig_brg.jpg (18 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

pdccr

Re: more arrows and another jig

#2 Post by pdccr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:07 am

This jig looks a little better than the last 8)
Cheers, Toby

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:14 pm

I would suggest supporting your shaft with a 'V' block near where you are doing your cresting. I say this as it is rare that you will get a full length shaft that will spin perfectly; they will have a slight wobble in them which will cause your cresting lines to be be uneven. By supporting them close to where you are cresting helps eliminate the problem.

Jeff

Trad Bound

#4 Post by Trad Bound » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:16 pm

Mate the Lady of the house was giving those arrows a real good work out on Sunday. They say it is the arrows that do the work but I reckon Jacqui was given them a good bit of bent stick. you might become the maker and she the archer. I'm sure she will reply soon so don't even think about it. It was good to see you all there. TonyJ

stringnstik

#5 Post by stringnstik » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:33 pm

yep jeff re the block I didnt mention that, its the same as my old system the block is still very necessary. The main point of the new design was how quick I could get a shaft in and out.

tony yeah both her and shannen ie the ladies of the house are shooting better than the fellas :)
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"