My first restoration ever bear grizzly 1969

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Cody Roiter

My first restoration ever bear grizzly 1969

#1 Post by Cody Roiter » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:44 pm

G-Day mate's, I found this bow in a barn here last week my uncle told me he got it at a yard sale in the 1970s and just had it in his barn to shoot birds and last week I found it and he told me to have as he didn't want the old thing any more... She needs a Restoration bad so I am thinkin of trying my hand at it I not going to take the tip over lays off but jut make the old girl look better... so I hope u come along the ride with me enjoy mate's Here are some before pics of what the old girl looked like when I found her

Ok mates she lookes bad but I think we can fix her up so from this thing call forword into time mates here are some pics of the work I got done to
Cody Roiter

Cody Roiter

Re: My first restoration ever bear grizzly 1969

#2 Post by Cody Roiter » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:47 pm

Ok guys did some more work on the old girl I know this is not as good as some of the other Restoration I have seen. Well back to the restoration first thing first thank god I took a pic of the ser number and the AMO as I want to make sure I have it to put back on the riser which I want to know what is the best pen to do that with ? But I have not sanded the numbers off I wanted to make sure be fore I did that I could re write them on there...Well the riser in the first pics I posted look like the wood was not in all the best shape but I will be damn if I sanded the wood down and must be got lucky or some thing cause that wood looks very good to me... Here a pic of the riser before and after
The riser is all in one there no need for any LT40 from what I can see what do u guys think...

Back side of the riser coin side befor and after
I added the limb sinks for other archery web site post but u can see the way she came out

Next I got think the arrow self need some sanding
Guys sorry I didnt get any of the before as I was think I would not been doing a post but there the out come..

All the best mate's

Cody
Cody Roiter

UPTHETOP

#3 Post by UPTHETOP » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Hey Cody was interesting to see how it all come together after all the attention it got. I like the plain lines and finish you put on it.
Must be pround especially coming from the family barn.

Good luck giving it a stretch.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:26 pm

you've done a great job Cody.........................Rod

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:11 pm

Mate , as much as others are telling you what a great job you did ,, I just cant tell ,, as the pics are so dark , I cant see bugger all :shock: Maybe its just a policy on here to praise anything , I dont know . But some better pics would be good :wink:
I have a 70's Bear Grizzly that I restored to its former glory , and she shoots great and I am sure I will get many more years from her :D
I know I will never sell it , as it is a great bow and has some of my blood , sweat and tears in her :D

kimall

#6 Post by kimall » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Hey coach do you want to sell it. 8)
Some better pics would be great Cody show us all the great work you are doing.
Cheers KIM

Coach

#7 Post by Coach » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:22 pm

kimall wrote:Hey coach do you want to sell it. 8)
HEHEHE , aint gunna happen dude ,, I have wanted one since I was 12 years old ,, now I got it , it will never be sold ,, even if I dont hunt anymore , I will hang it on the wall . Fred Bear is a LEGEND ! :)

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:07 pm

photo's look alright to me Jeff,take off your sunnies mate wont look as dark. :wink: :mrgreen: ...................Rod

Cody Roiter

#9 Post by Cody Roiter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:52 am

G-Day Mate's Thanks so much but i am still not done that was just the riser sanded down now on to the limbs the some more wet sanding then back to sanding the nock tips.... I will have many more pics coming Mate's

Yes I know that my pics are dark it must be my darn camera as I been playing with to try to make the pics better...
I will see what I can do...

Cody
Cody Roiter