easter present for me

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

jape

easter present for me

#1 Post by jape » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:17 am

Look what I found this morning - went down the shop for bread having forgotten about the holiday and tourists and there was an 'antiques and collectible faire' in the old town hall, I usually avoid them but few tourists were up and about so I browsed quickly and found these, got the two for thirty bucks which was a bit expensive as the blades are a little past it, will look good on the rack though and the one I tried out worked well enough. :) There was a lovely chased and engraved sabre too but $650 was beyond my pocket money :(
things.jpg
things.jpg (153.94 KiB) Viewed 1479 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: easter present for me

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:47 pm

They sure could tell some tales Jape. The larger one looks like English Oak, do you think it is?

Jeff

pdccr

#3 Post by pdccr » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:14 pm

It would be cool to find out what things those made, they look pretty well seasoned too.
Cheers, Toby

jape

#4 Post by jape » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:26 pm

Difficult to say Jeff, even close up, but I think you are right, the colour is mainly from grime, it has a small fleck in the grain but could be Ash. I will get a better look when I clean them up. I expected Beech but I am pretty sure it isn't that with that grain pattern.

They have been well used rather than abused and they take a great edge still. I am pleased I got them, just have to breakfast off Weetbix this week because I spent the bread and egg money on them!

DylanK

#5 Post by DylanK » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:52 pm

They somesort of draw knife? :oops:

jape

#6 Post by jape » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:17 pm

DylanK wrote:They some sort of draw knife? :oops:
No mate, vintage spoke-shaves, these are 300mm and 250mm with 90mm and 75mm blades.
Easier to get on with for wood removal on a bow for example, a draw-knife can be fierce until you have mastered it but a spoke-shave has a platform to run along the wood and help control the cut.
Draw-knife here:
draw knife.JPG
draw knife.JPG (4.05 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vintage-Draw-Kni ... 28001r2106
Last edited by jape on Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:23 pm

I will get a better look when I clean them up.
They look good as they are. :D

Jeff

jape

#8 Post by jape » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:27 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
I will get a better look when I clean them up.
They look good as they are. :D Jeff
Aye agreed, but perhaps just a very fine wire-wool rub with white spirit, then a beeswax polish? :D

DylanK

#9 Post by DylanK » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:19 pm

jape wrote:
DylanK wrote:They some sort of draw knife? :oops:
No mate, vintage spoke-shaves, these are 300mm and 250mm with 90mm and 75mm blades.
Easier to get on with for wood removal on a bow for example, a draw-knife can be fierce until you have mastered it but a spoke-shave has a platform to run along the wood and help control the cut.
Draw-knife here:
draw knife.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vintage-Draw-Kni ... 28001r2106
Understood. Thanks for that.

Dylan

longbowinfected

#10 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:46 am

Jape, if you clean up the end pores, presumably at the end of the handles and if you have a 10 times handlens or better, oak has paired lines of medullary rays which are quite white [starch stored there].

10x hand lenses can be obtained from gold panning and fossickers supply houses quite cheaply.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.