Takedown Part IV -

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

looseplucker

Takedown Part IV -

#1 Post by looseplucker » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:11 am

Colleagues.

Well, its a shooter. Apologies to the blokes I've emailed this morning with this stuff - but I got into the bugger last night with the following process.

At 27" its pulling 48#.
Pictures 019.jpg
Pictures 019.jpg (39.64 KiB) Viewed 2789 times

Here is what I did - I sent 50 arrows through it (or 1 arrow 50 times - one of Forro's shafts too) at 20" - checking the tiller and the brace height every ten shots or so. Tiller changed almost imperceptibly and I had to re-brace the bow twice - probably string stretch as the string I had only made up the thing the day before.

I then took the bow out to 23" - corrected the tiller as a poofteenth of stiffness in the outers of both showed up. Exercised the bow and then rested it on the tiller at about 15" draw while I had a glass of wine. Dennis La Varenne suggested the resting on tiller - you can do it througout the tillering process - just rest it at a point lower than where it was drawn on the stick.

Took the thing out to 23" again and no issues and re-checked the brace height, and it was holding at 5.5"

Took it to 25" - checked the tiller - minor adjustment with sandpaper. Bit more exercise and another rest on the tiller at 16". That second glass of wine was good too.

Took it to 27". No adjustments required. Took photos, let out a war whoop and then spent the next half hour talking to the thing.
Pictures 027.jpg
Pictures 027.jpg (34.17 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
Pictures 020.jpg
Pictures 020.jpg (22.22 KiB) Viewed 2788 times

Huge thanks to Daryl, Dennis, Dave, Jeff, the Steves and all you fellas on the site have been nothing short of a bloody inspiration - there is a bit of all of you in this piece of kit. Pass me a tissue, there is something in my eye.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

pdccr

Re: Takedown Part IV -

#2 Post by pdccr » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:17 am

Haha thats a bloody fine bow, i also read in the bowyers bible that one of them leaves the bow strung for six hours before he even draws it past brace height. I guess it was good advice for ya then :lol: All that hard work paid off huh.
Cheers, Toby

TomMcDonald

#3 Post by TomMcDonald » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:57 am

Beautiful bow there. You should be very proud of your efforts.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

jape

#4 Post by jape » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:30 pm

yes, a good yarn from start to finish and a great result. You deserve the whoop, and a dance - and a bottle of malt for the launch.

ichiban

#5 Post by ichiban » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:32 pm

congrats, looking good i do say
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi John,

A very nice looking bow, you have done well.

The recurve in the tips gives the bow a 'classical' look from brace height through to full draw.

When the bow is 'shot in' can you give some idea of its performance?

Are the pin striped trousers and long sleeved shirt your normal workshop gear? :P :P :P

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

looseplucker

#7 Post by looseplucker » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:34 am

Gday Daryl

Thanks for that - as well as being a guru on the making of the spotty gum bamboo back and belly bow.

You have no idea how much trouble I get into from the Leader of the Opposition for getting dust on my suit. :roll:

But I show her the pictures of the fellas in popular dynamics wearing TIES - that is the last thing I would wear when using a bandsaw or drillpress :oops:

I guess I just can't wait to get into the shed after a day in the office.....

I'm going to take it for a rove this weekend - see how we go.

outbackarcher
Site Admin

#8 Post by outbackarcher » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:44 pm

beautiful mate, well done. did you use the design as in the TBB3?

lewis
Trad archery and bowhunting all the way.

looseplucker

#9 Post by looseplucker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:08 pm

Thanks Lewis

Kind of sort of - I followed the basic advice in Mike Westvang's article in TBB, but essentially I experimented with a couple of form shapes. I wanted 3" of reflex/recurve in the tips due to the planned length of the bow and it just happened from there.

rodlonq

#10 Post by rodlonq » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:59 pm

very nice work mate :mrgreen: