POC shaft and super glue.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

stringnstik

POC shaft and super glue.

#1 Post by stringnstik » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:24 am

Anyone had any troubles fletching POC shafts with super glue.. as In it takes longer to set.
I must admit here that normally I prepare my shafts, crest etc
Yesterday I wanted to test a new shaft with a different point and fletch profile. So it was hot glue for the point and nock and super glue to un prepared shaft for the feathers. It took heaps longer ( I normally count to 20 and its done. I had to get over 80..I was running out of fingers :)

They stuck ok eventually, as In I test tugged and fired them fine. I can only imagine the shafts had some surface oil or something on them? OR the glue just decided it was a go slow day.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

pdccr

Re: POC shaft and super glue.

#2 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:29 am

I had a small tube of fletchtite which i like but can only get in brissy, i am going to use tarzans grip exclusively to make my arras and 24 hour araldite to glue my points. The drying time is normally 20-30 seconds for me. I go to 40 just to be safe.
Cheers, Toby

Glenn

#3 Post by Glenn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:10 am

I have never been fond of superglue or fletch tape for that matter. Either way you still need to run fletchtite down te base of the feather and at each end to do a good job no matter how you fix your feathers to your shafts unless they are bound of course...Glenn...

stringnstik

#4 Post by stringnstik » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:22 am

Hmm interesting. I have never had the problem before maybe the glue is going off, it is awfully old. I always dab the front and back with super gel and run the super glue down the sides after as well.. I have a few more of this batch of shafts, ill sand em this time.

pdccr
Hot glue for temporary points and such when testing or bare shafting etc is brilliant. Ive never had one come off, its quick, adjustable/removable (for eg if your playing with arrow length) etc. I dob a glob of glue in the point shove the arra in hit the point with a heat gun till it just allows me to push the shaft in fully and twist a bit. By the time I get to the test but its cooled and ready to fire.
"twang....thud"

pdccr

#5 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:27 am

Ahhh ok i see thats a pretty good idea, every time i had to do that i had araldite and had to heat them up to billeo untill i could get some pliers onto them. Scorched the shafts aswell.
Cheers, Toby

ichiban

#6 Post by ichiban » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:13 am

i have found that balsa cement (c-23) i think its called works really well, infact when testing some arrows for my friend i passed through the target and then through a small softwood tree i had in the back yard and the fletchings looked a little ruffeled after that but not one section lifted :D
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

jape

#7 Post by jape » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:55 am

stringnstik wrote:Hmm interesting. I have never had the problem before maybe the glue is going off, it is awfully old. I always dab the front and back with super gel and run the super glue down the sides after as well.. I have a few more of this batch of shafts, ill sand em this time.
I've tried everything now after listening to various people here and I find good old cheap (six tubes for $2) superglue does all the fletching, points and nocks safely. The only tips that ever came off were with construction glue (liquid nails stuff). Few of my arrows last over a year or more but those that have are still fine. I have to burn points off the broken shafts though.

I have used it on (dry and sanded) POC, VA, Sitka, ash, bamboo, rose, warratah and more with no problem, and in fact I prefer to use a fair bit (a full drop or two, or a run not just a smear) as it gives me a moment or so to adjust the bits. It can very occasionally take a longer while to set, never worked out why and it is erratic in that, maybe dependant on temperature, moisture. I use it on sanded shafts though it works well on painted repair jobs and re-fletching or binding. I dribble it over all the bindings and it works like a very strong varnish, and also along the fletches where it fills the gaps but I am always careful not to get it on the fletch itself as they stiffen up with painful consequences to off-the-hand shooters.

I have some old tubes with crystals on the bottom where it has leaked and what is left inside works well but usually unless I am running out I chuck them, after all, less than 35c for six arrows is OK.

As a by-the-way I have also used it on deep cuts and a badly ripped fingernail and it works brilliantly, despite the 'cyano' bit of the formula I'm not dead!
Last edited by jape on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdccr

#8 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:58 am

Interesting first aid method there jape, remind me never to get any deep cuts around you :lol:
Cheers, Toby

jape

#9 Post by jape » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:06 am

The story is that it was first developed for instant field repair on wounds in the Vietnam Conflict Toby, like holding guts back into body cavity. I don't know if that is true but it gave me the idea when I sliced deeply into my finger once with my sword, I didn't pour it right into the wound just into the surface to join it and it was brilliant, healed quickly with no scar.

pdccr

#10 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:07 am

Interesting, ouch, a sword! I will keep it in mind next time my guts start falling out 8)
Cheers, Toby

Glenn

#11 Post by Glenn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:56 pm

I have been using the C23 as well for years now and I have found it to be a very good glue for feathers...Glenn...

alaninoz

#12 Post by alaninoz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Take care if using superglue ( methyl or ethyl cyanoacrylate) on wounds. Yes, it was tried as a wound dressing by the yanks in Vietnam but they found that as it cures it releases small amounts of cyanide into the wound. That's why they developed Dermabond (octyl cyanoacrylate) which doesn't release cyanide. Damn expensive though and hard to get. If you can find some Vetbond it's the same stuff, only it hasn't been sterilised.
Alan

hue

#13 Post by hue » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:13 pm

Hey Chris

do you fletch straight on the wood or use wraps.
if you're superglueing directly on the wood, remember the wood is soaking some up before it sets, that's why it takes longer! if you use wraps, the loctite superglue is the best and is not aggressive on feathers. be careful using hotmelt on points for long term use, use the 24 hour araldite otherwise whatever club you shoot at will find your points in their targets, usually at the end of someones destroyed arrow!

Hue
I can only be who I am

stringnstik

#14 Post by stringnstik » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:01 am

yep thats what I reckon it is, shafts outa the box with no prep is bound to ask the question of any glue.
BTW
I also keep my super glue in the fridge. Lasts longer. (note on this day it had been left out for a week in the shed :)
24 araldite for the points once Im done playing.
C23 for the nock
super glue (ZAP actually) for the fletching. Some use gel, i prefer the runny stuff except for front n back of fletch which I dab with gel or C23.
Careful of superglue on cuts... as a bass player we used to glue the tips of our fingers to help em survive multiple gigs. I still have all my fingers but Im not convinced it was a smart thing to do re cyanide as mentioned above.

Hue....whos Chris? :)

thanks for all the comments
Mark
"twang....thud"

longbowinfected

#15 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 pm

I use the two part bow glue Techniglue for points and adapters.....it is fantastic.....not had one point even get loose since I started using it. John McDonald put me onto it. It is so good that I almost considered not cleaning hardware and sanding / keying the timber. I resisted the urge.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Jeffro

#16 Post by Jeffro » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:37 am

Mate if your shafts have varnish on them stick em on with superglue and then run fletch tite down both sides of the feather and a bit at each end.you wont have a problem then.
hot melt glue is no good for wood shafts .
scratch up the inside of the points with a file or dremel tool and then clean them out with alcohol.Then use 24 hour araldite.
as for the nocks use tarzans grip .If no varnish use it on the feathers aswell