Bowyers- cutting to profile-how

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

stringnstik

Bowyers- cutting to profile-how

#1 Post by stringnstik » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:17 am

Hi all,
was draw knifing away on the weekend and now that Im shaping the wood rather than finishing cut straight or tapered boards. I found I had constant trouble eyeing the profile. If its for example a D or anything other than a flat bow shape I couldn't work out how to measure and mark the wood with guidelines. That is so its equal at the same point in both limbs.

It roughed out no problems and Im sure the tillering process will help reveal where its wrong (at the end of it all thats more important) but I was thinking how to make a template which would help keep it close so that tillering is an easier affair. OR am I debarking the wrong tree :)

A wood workers marking gauge is great for parallels but when you have a taper and also rounding it into the belly it all becomes a little haphazard.

Interested in thoughts.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

pdccr

Re: Bowyers- cutting to profile-how

#2 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:36 am

I tried making a bow from a tree yesterday, ended up with 2 pieces of wood and 20 times that in blisters :lol:
Cheers, Toby

ichiban

#3 Post by ichiban » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 am

i personaly just draw the ideal shape (profile) on the stave in a light pencil then study the grain to make any deviations then go over the lot whith a sharpy, once thats done and reduced i have a look at the side profile and do much the same.
works for me.

Dave.
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:40 pm

I have a series of templates that I use when making 'D' section longbows.
Dia. 11 Profile Template For 'D' Section.JPG
Dia. 11 Profile Template For 'D' Section.JPG (35.35 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
When I have a centerline marked down the back of the billet I draw the plan of the bow. Once the excess material has been removed I mark out the side profile and remove excess material. The squared edges of the belly can be removed by a spoke shave and I bring up the belly using a rubber backed plasterers sanding tool.

The stave is marked out at six inch increments from the centre and these are the reference points for the various sized templates.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

pdccr

#5 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:52 pm

thats a good idea grey.
Cheers, Toby