Newbie bow makers...

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

kimall

Newbie bow makers...

#1 Post by kimall » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:39 pm

I have noticed a lot of guys starting to make wood bows again lately and this is awesome but most seem to be ending in the same result(Broken bits of wood) :x The common response on forums is that it's bad luck and you will need to make a fair few before one will stay together long enough to be shot.I believe many just give up after this for some time anyway and feel that it is just some mystical art not for mere mortals.
Well believe me if I can do it then it cant be that hard that's for sure. :P Lets have a quick look at what we are trying to do first when making a bow.Even without getting involved in the bow design part many are woodworking for the first time and to try to learn these skills on something as demanding as a bow is a challenge that's for sure.The other huge hurdle and prob the one that stops most is the wood itself as no two pieces are the same even from the same species and when we ask the question we get told of tight grain,growth rings,sapwood,grain running off the side and of course it cant be twisted warped too dry or too green.Even if we work all that out it may be spotted gum from the coast and not the mountains so it is still no good.Its a wonder we ever get a bow out at all. :shock:
So where am I going with all this rambling (BAMBOO FLOOR BOARDS) I cant understand why more don't try this material as it solves so many of the probs we face as inexperienced bow builders.First thing is that it is a very consistent material so it will be the same every time you start on a new board and will be the same the whole length of the board so if you have a even taper from handle to tips then you will get a nice even bend in the limbs without even knowing anything about tillering.It is nice and soft so you can work it with hand tools easily and very few tools are needed and a spoke shave will work nicely unlike many types of hard woods that will tear and rip when cutting tools are used.A cabinet scraper will work great to finish the finer tillering.The other fantastic thing is that even if you get the tiller wrong it will tolerate clumsy efforts in the tillering as you learn the basics.This is not normally the case with hard wood as it can explode if things are not well balanced in the tillering department.The bamboo may get a bit of string follow if abused enough but stays together.
So it cant be all good you say and of course there some shortcomings but not ones that really are a concern for those building their first bows.It will take some string follow(stay bent a bit after being shot) and is better suited for bows up to 40-45 pound and is perfect for kids bows but I have made bows up to 60 pound but backed them with tassie oak and had good results performance wise with these bows.
To test my theories on the bamboo I decided to make a kids bow today from the most basic methods just as a newbie might the first time without the need to be buying machines.My goal was 30 pounds as that is a common weight for kids and the length was 54 inches because that was the length of a bit I had laying in the shed.It started 40mm wide and
I made handle section 4 inches long but did not glue anything on as some may not want to buy special bow building glue so it will have a wrapped handle.It is a straight taper from the handle to the tips and about 20mm wide at the tips.No tip overlays on this one either.After planing the sided down to this shape I drew a line on the side from the handle to the tips again tapering to 10mm and planed off the belly to close to the line and finished with a rasp rounding the edges to a squashed ellipse shape.This was enough to get a tiller string on it and had it tillered in prob 1 hour down to 27 inch draw.It is a bit under my target of 30 pounds (27) but close and kids don't care what poundage it is anyway.A quick sand and a bit of stain and my Daughter was shooting it in the backyard.
As I said before it may not be the fasted bow(but still good) but this is just from a bit of scrap floor board with no backing or anything fancy just a bit of wood.and it may not work out perfect the first time for you but if your kids are anything like mine they love shooting a bow Dad made and when you have a couple under your belt it is so easy to start making them a bit longer and heavier draw weight as your skills improve.
I will add some pics of this one when the varnish is dry.
I get my boards from a carpet shop but there are more and more shops selling these boards now.There are differant types and the one you need to ask for is the VERTICLE Bamboo floor boards.
Also I forgot to mention that bamboo is very bad to breath the dust so use a mask when making any dust.
Cheers KIM
Last edited by kimall on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outbackarcher
Site Admin

Re: Newbie bow makers...

#2 Post by outbackarcher » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:58 pm

kimall is right, out of all the advice ive been given, buildalongs, books and websites they where telling me "by this wood look out for this and that in the wood and dont use this tool, or that one, get this one instead................. ". but this bamboo floorboard sounds like the stuff get for me. might start lookin' arond for some :wink: . where do you get yours kimall?

lewis
Trad archery and bowhunting all the way.

pdccr

#3 Post by pdccr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Great info kimall, i will definately try one of these for my next one! What length are they capable of going to, i will go for a 70' one if its capable of going that long as that is what most people seem to use for their first bow and coach is helping me out with the string, thanks again mate.
Cheers, Toby

kimall

#4 Post by kimall » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Mine was 65 NTN and 60 pound so if you go lighter I personly would not go longer as you will lose performance.Thats just my opinion and I am a plumber not a bowmaker.
Cheers KIM

pdccr

#5 Post by pdccr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:53 pm

haha even plumbers can make good bows ;) Would a 30-40# at 70' be easy to make?
Cheers, Toby

kimall

#6 Post by kimall » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:15 pm

The longer they are for the lighter poundage the easier they are to make but they are very sluggish to shoot as they are overengineered so to speak but give it a go and see how it goes for yourself.
Cheers KIM

pdccr

#7 Post by pdccr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Ok will do :)
Cheers, Toby

stringnstik

#8 Post by stringnstik » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:08 pm

thanks Kimall,
Having spoken to a number of trads over the w/e and having taken some confidence in my last attempt even tho it did grow some fractures and has now been placed on the wall for show only.
Your bamboo type seems like the next logical progression. Ill try some carpet shops this week as my local bunnings just doesn't seem to have these floorboards people keep mentioning.
As you and others have mentioned the first hurdle is finding a decent piece of wood. Im tipping if someone turned up to a trad event with a bunch of rough unshaped ripped boards some of us would pounce on them. Like anything, you can read lots but once you have seen your first one it all suddenly takes shape and makes sense.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:19 pm

i get mine from solomons carpets,you might have one of their stores near you.............Rod

pdccr

#10 Post by pdccr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:37 pm

Thats just what i wanted to hear rod, i got one of them near me, i will go scoop it out when i get a chance.
Cheers, Toby

Mububban

#11 Post by Mububban » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:53 pm

It's what I'm using for my first unassisted attempt at bowmaking. Vertical bamboo flooring can be found all over the place, for Perthies try Bamboo Connection, the lady there is happy to sell one square meter at a time for about $60. As the boards are about 90mm wide you can get 2-3 bows out of each board depenidng on desired width, 19mm thick and 1.8m long. I'm (slowly) working on a kiddies bow to start with.

Assisted by an experienced bowmaker, we made a double thickness boo flatbow that came to 50lb at 28 inches, and that was after nearly all the second layer got removed in the shaping. So I'm trying 3 bows, kids, women and mne's size, in the single layer only, to see what poundage I get.

Steven J

#12 Post by Steven J » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Kimall,

What you have posted will be a real encouragement to new bowyers. You have said it like it is and shown that making bows is within the realms of everyone.

Good on ya mate,

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

pdccr

#13 Post by pdccr » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:55 pm

He definately did inspire me to make one of these bows.
Cheers, Toby

outbackarcher
Site Admin

#14 Post by outbackarcher » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:56 am

me too, probably will be my first succesful bow.

and by the way, pdccr, always always always
wear a mask. bamboo is very bad for the lungs.

lewis
Trad archery and bowhunting all the way.

kimall

#15 Post by kimall » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:22 am

Well I am glad that it has inspired more to try bow making it is very rewarding when it starts to work for you.
Cheers KIM

pdccr

#16 Post by pdccr » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:08 am

Yer i have worked with bamboo before so i know the dangers :)
Cheers, Toby

pdccr

#17 Post by pdccr » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:08 pm

Heading over to solomans to see if i can get some verticle boards
Cheers, Toby

Brumbies Country

#18 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:55 am

Kim said:"

stringnstik

#19 Post by stringnstik » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:00 am

pdccr wrote:Heading over to solomans to see if i can get some verticle boards
Let me know how u go. I got zilch from them, unless I wanted a dozen cubic meters they were very uninterested and unhelpful.
I still as yet have not found anywhere local to buy boards of any type. Even the bunnings had less than 5 spotted gum and that was all the boards they had and their grain was wandering around the shop worse than wounded deer.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

pdccr

#20 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:03 am

yes he did :lol: I think you might had typed an error, but anyway, could i use tip overlays for bamboo?
Cheers, Toby

pdccr

#21 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:44 am

I cant find bamboo any where, the only place i can you have to order it. No more bowmaking for me anytime soon then. What other woods are good to use that are fairly easy to come by?
Cheers, Toby

ichiban

#22 Post by ichiban » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:09 am

bamboo is grate but if its hard to come by dont dwell on it just go to bunnings at tuggers bunnings they have both blue gum and spotty gum, both good bow woods. and heck i have made a 25# @ 29" bow from pine (a slat from my old futon base, it had 6 nail holes in it) it all comes down to design more than anything.
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

pdccr

#23 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 am

Does bunnings have blue gum and spotty gum?!?!?1
Cheers, Toby

ichiban

#24 Post by ichiban » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:26 am

well mine dose :D ask where they keep flooring should be there.

pdccr

#25 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:27 am

Ok i will give them a call :shock: MUST NOT GET MY HOPES UP...
Cheers, Toby

ichiban

#26 Post by ichiban » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:30 am

yeah just make sure you get the one with the best grain i personaly like 1/4 sawn boards.

pdccr

#27 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:46 am

Ok just got off the phone from a 10 minute call and all they have is the all aussie hardwood pack. It looks like my best choice. I think its a mixed pack.
Cheers, Toby

pdccr

#28 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:54 am

stringnstik wrote:
pdccr wrote:Heading over to solomans to see if i can get some verticle boards
Let me know how u go. I got zilch from them, unless I wanted a dozen cubic meters they were very uninterested and unhelpful.
I still as yet have not found anywhere local to buy boards of any type. Even the bunnings had less than 5 spotted gum and that was all the boards they had and their grain was wandering around the shop worse than wounded deer.
I am having similar success, possibly worse, no spotted gum the only thing they have is all aussie hardwood pack. Its my only shot, not a bamboo board in site.
Cheers, Toby

ichiban

#29 Post by ichiban » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:02 am

yeah bunnings sucks for boo flooring but mixed aussie hard woods are grate i persoanly have found that when you dont focus on what type of wood your using you just get on with it, i have given up on boo because well who cairs theres plenty of other stuff you can use, a pine fence pailing bow is totaly awsome (not so much performance wise but for $1 dosent matter there good fun for tillering practice.

Dave

pdccr

#30 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:06 am

Yer i am just gonna get it. I dont care what they are, i just need to make a bow!!!!!!
Cheers, Toby