camouflaging board bow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

looseplucker

camouflaging board bow

#1 Post by looseplucker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:21 am

Gday

I got a great quote a couple of weeks ago from Dennis re bowyery "if we don't pass it on, its lost". While my boy William loves to shoot his bow and stuff, getting him involved in making the stuff has been more of a challenge - and I've found myself often spending long periods by myself in the shed, with the lad showing a bit of interest.

However recently I made up a bow from spotted gum which I backed with calico (2 layers) and the tillering is going slowly but surely.

Anyhow, calico does not exactly blend in with the bush - so on the weekend I got my young bloke William and his cousin Lachie, and some marker pens together with the following results. (The woodland cam jacket is one of my old ones, which the boys used for ideas). They had a good time doing it - and William has asked if he can do my osage bow when it is finished.

The final pic is Jess, my niece and god-daughter with the finished product. I just need to finish the tillering (its pulling 48# at 18" - I would like it around 40# @28).
Attachments
like this.jpg
like this.jpg (67.23 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
race is on.jpg
race is on.jpg (71.49 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
rocketing along.jpg
rocketing along.jpg (80.47 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
finished.jpg
finished.jpg (47.63 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

kerrille

Re: camouflaging board bow

#2 Post by kerrille » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:29 am

good stuff john i have the same problem with my boys.they love it when i make em something but wont do it them selves ,they say why we got you :roll: :D

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

ichiban

#3 Post by ichiban » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:15 pm

have u guys seen the bow jim hamms son made in the TBB series..... 9 years old darn it hehe
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

looseplucker

#4 Post by looseplucker » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:44 pm

Yep - out of osage too, the little scamp.

That board bow - which is from 2 pieces of spotted gum spliced together is shooting ok - although a couple of cracks turned up in the sides - nothing that a silk wrap and epoxy didnt fix.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?