Recommended bandsaw size

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

darkside

Recommended bandsaw size

#1 Post by darkside » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:48 pm

Guys, I am looking at making a few bows for myself and was wondering what size bandsaw everyone uses, i am looking at the carbatec 10" model for $300, i have also found a Hafco unit but the price for delivery takes it over $350 and there doesn't appear to be flexible.

So what size do you use and/or recommend

Glenn

Re: Recommended bandsaw size

#2 Post by Glenn » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:02 pm

You might struggle with a small bandsaw like that one especially sawing hardwood, try to pay the extra dollars and get a bandsaw with 14" wheels, it will be worth it...Glenn...

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:29 pm

i've got a carbatec 14in.it does what i bought it for :D ..Rod

Mike-dy

#4 Post by Mike-dy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:29 am

Ditto, I asked the same ? and ended up buying the !4" Carbatech. Glad I did :)

Mike

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:45 pm

The 10” saw they list has a ½ hp motor and it won’t have the grunt for cutting billets and are limited as to the variety of blades that you can use.

The 14” single speed they list has a ¾ hp motor which I believe is still underpowered. The 12” and 14” have the same depth of cut, but the14” gives you a wider throat.

I am running a 12” saw with a 1 hp motor [a little more hp would be ideal] and it handles split iron bark billets. Correct blade selection will make cutting a lot easier.

Apart from hp the bigger machines have sturdier blade guides and better adjustment.

Wait a while and save the extra dollars for a more powerful machine and you won’t be disappointed.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:17 pm

the one i bought a couple of months ago is the bas350 its the model with the 1 1/2hp motor and 2 speed but i havent tried cutting any big stuff yet :D

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:35 am

Hi Rod,

You've got the good model. List price $699-00. It will easily handle the heavier work load.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:10 am

Daryl,i'm glad you said that, now i know it will handle the bigger timber i'll have to start looking for some nice timber to play with :D

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by greybeard » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:28 am

Rod,

When you get in to the bigger stuff consult with your blade supplier for a suitable ripping blade.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:18 am

will do Daryl thanks mate..............Rod

Glenn

#11 Post by Glenn » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:10 pm

Rod, when you ask about a ripping blade don't let them fob you off with a combination blade as they do wander easliy. Ask them about a proper ripping blade with chisel teel just like on a ripping hand saw. The chisel teeth will stay on track much better. I haven't got one yet but I did enquire about a ripping blade and eventually he admitted he could get them made, but ofcourse this means he couldn't sell me something off the shelf for a quick sale. When I need some new blades I will get some...Glenn...

yeoman

#12 Post by yeoman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:23 am

I have the 10" saw from carbatec.

I have found the 1/2 hp motor to be sufficient for resawing hardwood up to 2" thick, as long as you take your time.

I haven't tried a saw with more oomph, but I'm sure that more would be better.

However, if you're busting to get a bandsaw on a limited budget (like I was), then the 10" saw will do until you can upgrade. Three years later, I still haven't though.

Blade choice is critical.

Dave
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:03 pm

thanks for the advice Glen. :D

coolhippy80

#14 Post by coolhippy80 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm

i have a question (sorry if i missed the answer in here allready!) but will a wider blade stay on track better? my narrow little one wanders all over the place... :?
Keep Tasmania clean. No Pulp Mill!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by greybeard » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:15 pm

I do not think a wider [deeper] blade will help.

From my experience the profile and/or cutting action of the teeth will determine the path of the blade. A wider blade [deeper] would be more beneficial when cutting thicker timber.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Graeme K

#16 Post by Graeme K » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:35 pm

Hi Gus

Wider blades are a bit more directionally stable and I guess using the widest blade your machine is designed for is a good Idea but if your blade wanders it is going to be because the blade is blunt and is made worse if the guides are not well adjusted.
The fact that a blade will still cut is not an indication that you should still be using it .
Use the widest blade you can with the largest teeth -- 3 or 4 to the inch and make sure the guides are adjusted correctly then if the blade starts to wander even if it seems to cut freely then you need to replace it.
The unfortunate truth is that high carbon blades do not last for long if you need them to cut well.

Graeme

coolhippy80

#17 Post by coolhippy80 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:04 pm

thanks graeme.
but mine still wandered when it was new? its just a fairly cheap GMC 200mm bandsaw... whats that in inches?

Graeme K

#18 Post by Graeme K » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi Gus
It does not matter how small the band saw it the only way the machine can make the blade wander is if the actual frame of the saw is flexing and this is very unlikely. I dont know where you get your blades but even a new blade can wander if the set is not even and it is when the set wears that a seemly sharp blade starts to wander. Keep in mind that the top blade guide needs to be as close to the thing you are cutting as possible as exposed blade above the cut worsens the problems of the blade wandering. If a new blade with the correctly adjusted guides do not fix it you need to get someone who has experience to help you set it up because I am sure it can be made to work well.

Graeme

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by greybeard » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:56 pm

Gus,

Follow Graeme’s advice.

I bought a new 250mm [10inch] saw, blue in colour. Although I didn’t need another band saw I thought it may be handy for small cutting tasks.

Some of the problems that I encountered were;

The blade tensioning and blade tracking assembly was sloppy.

Both wheels were out of balance and after two hours of repositioning balance weights I gave up and put them back to the factory position. I believe the wooden spoked wheels on the horse drawn Cobb and Co carriages were better balanced.

The rubber tyre on the bottom wheel would ride off the edge and the blade would fall off. Had to remove the bottom wheel and glue the tyre to the wheel.

The upper blade guide, bearing assembly is flimsy and lacks suitable adjustment.

I must admit that the laser beam works but is totally useless when cutting curves.

If anyone is into making furniture for dolls houses this may be suitable. Unfortunately I sold my boat so I don’t have a need for an anchor.

This exquisite piece of machinery is up for sale [pick up only, Logan City, adjoins Brisbane] for the princely sum of a six pack of Tooheys Old.

If offers aren’t forthcoming it goes to the tip.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

coolhippy80

#20 Post by coolhippy80 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Unfortunately I sold my boat so I don’t have a need for an anchor.
haha... :lol: took me a sec to get that one... :roll:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by greybeard » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:02 pm

Sold!

Daryl.
[Ascham]

jape

#22 Post by jape » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Just found this on a bowyers site:
http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/bandsaw.htm

Everything said before about big and sharp and ball-bearings and best quality blades is of course correct but this guy gives the poor ones amongst us hope! Take it slow and careful and a small saw will do it. I used a small one for years when I started restoring antiques and it did plenty of work satisfactorily. There is some interesting stuff on that site.

outbackarcher
Site Admin

#23 Post by outbackarcher » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:35 am

yeh ive been reading that site for a while now it has alot of good information on it.
Trad archery and bowhunting all the way.

looseplucker

#24 Post by looseplucker » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:51 am

One thing to bear in mind if using a smaller saw is the quality of the blade. I use a 14" saw myself and was getting blades made up for about $20 and these did the job OK.

A pal of mine has a larger carbatec saw - 19" or so, and he is using tungsten carbide tipped blades. OK - they work out as a lot more expensive, but I recently ripped into 4 pieces an osage log that was 6" in diameter on his saw, and that blade went through like a hot knife thru butter. I am informed that on smaller saws the tipped blades do a far more impressive job.

I am going to get one of the tipped blades made up next.

Just my 2c
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Mububban

#25 Post by Mububban » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:04 pm

Daryl, it wasn't a Ryobi by any chance was it?

I recently received a $229 Ryobi 400W bandsaw for my 30th birthday present from my folks, I can't afford one myself as I've got a bubs and my wife has stopped working so I'm grateful for anything.

The motor seems fine so far, admittedly only cutting through 19mm thick bamboo boards at the moment. But the blade wanders all over the shop. It twists in the yaw axis seemingly at random and I'm not experienced enough to know how ot fix it. I did try lowering the guide as low as possible, made no difference.

Using the guide clamp, it can cut a straight line, but the initial 1cm of cut wanders before settling down and cutting true.

Still, it cuts faster and cleaner and helps a skinny office worker like me speed up the removal of large waste sections of timber :D

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#26 Post by greybeard » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:07 pm

It was a GMC [not the automobile manufacturer].

I have found that the blade usually supplied with the machines is made from a thin gauge metal.

Some of your problems could be caused by;

Incorrect blade for the job at hand [one size does not fit all].

Bamboo has a fair amount of silica content and the heat generated in cutting process can fuse the silica to the blade which can make it dull.

Incorrect bearing adjustment on the upper and lower guides.

Blade tension.

I have been fortunate that I have a local company who can make blades to cater for my indivudal requirements.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

looseplucker

#27 Post by looseplucker » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:35 am

If you hunt around the general hardware places like Fisher Discounts here in Canberra, you will find 14" bandsaws for less than you pay at Carbatec.

One thing though that I have learned - no matter how much you pay, it wont work unless it is properly fettled.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Glenn

#28 Post by Glenn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:12 pm

If you get the silica build upo as Daryl suggested clean the blad with metho and brush off the build up with a stiff nylon brush like a tooth brush, some timbers have a lot of silica in them as well and they gum the blade up quickly, always ware a mask with these timbers, don't breath the sawdust...Glenn...

pdccr

#29 Post by pdccr » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:20 pm

How much is a cheap bandsaw these days? I dont want anything big just big enough to cut up boards into staves.
Cheers, Toby

Glenn

#30 Post by Glenn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:30 pm

pdccr if you just want to cut boards up into staves a small table saw will give you much better service rather than a cheap bandsaw. You will only be able to cut straight lines with it but you could cut the tapered limbs no worries and just cut the handle out with a rasp. If you buy a proper ripping blade which will have a chisel tooth rather than use the combination blade that will be supplied with it you will find it much better again to use, a proper ripping blade cuts like butter as against a combination blade...Glenn...