Jenny Craig for bows

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

clinglish

Jenny Craig for bows

#1 Post by clinglish » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi All, I have a recurve that I need to get some draw weight off and I am chasing recommendations for bowyers in WA.
Thanks in advance
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Jenny Craig for bows

#2 Post by greybeard » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:02 pm

A few more details and a photo or two of the bow may be helpful.

What is the draw weight of the bow at your draw length and how much draw weight do you want to shed from the bow?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

clinglish

#3 Post by clinglish » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:31 pm

I actually have a couple one is a 3 piece recurve and the other is a one piece. My one I would like to lose about 5+ pounds off as it is 62#@28 and I draw to 29 " and I would rather not blow my shoulders out.
The one Piece is my sons and it is short as well as heavy poundage so it may not be as easy to shave down but If I remember it is 52#@26" but only 54"AMO.
Really just looking for opinions from people as to bowyers they have had experience with and would recommend their work. I don't want to have to ship them back to the states but it may be the best option if a suitable local cant be found.
Cheers Clint
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

rodlonq

#4 Post by rodlonq » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:44 am

It should be possible Clint. When I made my first take down recurve it came in at 75#@28", way too much for me. After a good bit of reworking the thickness of the glass on the limbs it finished at 63#@28" which is comfortable for hunting. I purposely had 0.050 glass on the back and belly in case this happened so I had a lot of glass to play with. I can't shoot that weight at a club event but a few shots a day is OK. Sorry I can't help with bowyers in WA. Good luck with it.

Cheers... Rod