I Just Had To Do It:

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

I Just Had To Do It:

#1 Post by greybeard » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:17 pm

For some years now I have wanted to replicate my old metal riser Black Widow take down recurve with one employing a wooden riser.

The Widows’ limbs bolt on to the belly of the metal riser but with the limb bolt system I had in stock and using a wooden riser I believed I would improve the integrity of the system by bolting the limbs to the back of the riser.

The stiffened tips really add to the performance of the bow and the slightly bulky riser makes the bow ‘dead’ in the hand.

The bow is 58” n to n and draws 55# at 28”.
Number 7 Recurve.jpg
Number 7 Recurve.jpg (178.6 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
As I don’t have the stamina to shoot this weight bow comfortably a new set of limbs could be on the drawing board or I can put the bow into stock and wait for a buyer.

Daryl.

Perry, hope you like this one, it is short, has curves and is not ‘shiny’.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

Re: I Just Had To Do It:

#2 Post by bigbob » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:32 pm

Great work Daryl,like it a lot!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

perry

#3 Post by perry » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:27 am

[quote Perry, hope you like this one, it is short, has curves and is not ‘shiny’.[/quote]

I really do like this Bow Daryl, short Riser, Long Limb's and that forward handle would make for a stable shooting little Bow. Looks like the Grip is flat so your hand will be less inclined to torque the Bow. Not all good though Mate - having the vast experience I do with "Shiny" I can assure you it will shoot 20 fps faster and be worth double the money if it was "Shiny" May I suggest a Greybeard Decal on the Bow, Greybeard Embroidered Cap, Greybeard Suspender's and Greybeard T Shirt's !

regards Perry

ps Is it SRB or SR ? :biggrin:
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:24 am

Nice one

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi Perry.

It is a Short Riser Recurve Bow. SRRB. :-)
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Alex

#6 Post by Alex » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:48 pm

Nice work Darryl.
Alex.

hunterguy1991

#7 Post by hunterguy1991 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:17 am

Beautiful work as always Daryl.

would love to look at getting one of these in a more 'natural' look.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Gentlemen, thank you for your interest.
hunterguy1991 wrote:.......would love to look at getting one of these in a more 'natural' look.
Colin, I have some nice Queensland rosewood and wattle in stock so anything is possible.

I'm down to my last set of limb bolts so hopefully I can create something different.

In the meantime I need to make some lighter draw weight limbs for the existing riser.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

rodlonq

#9 Post by rodlonq » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:28 pm

Looks very nice Daryl.