Another Happy Client.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Another Happy Client.

#1 Post by greybeard » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:52 pm

I had a client approach me and request that I make a custom long bow for him. He had seen my bows down at the archery club and had to have one.

Upon asking what he had in mind for a design in the riser he replied ‘I’ll leave it up to you’, not real helpful when you don’t know what their preference is but stated that he would like hard rock maple under clear glass in the limbs.

He mentioned that he had clear bow glass at home so I said bring some around and you will save some money.

A few days later he dropped in about forty strips of Bearpaw clear glass, African Padauk, silky oak, pepperwood and various other pieces of timber.

I finally came up with a design utilising hard rock maple, padauk and African Blackwood.

Although I am not all that fussed over the design the customer is overjoyed with the result.
Compilation.jpg
Compilation.jpg (171.11 KiB) Viewed 5554 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Scrub Bull

Re: Another Happy Client.

#2 Post by Scrub Bull » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:33 pm

I like the look of it. :text-coolphotos: Well done
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

gazza

#3 Post by gazza » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:47 am

nice job daryl, :biggrin: gazza.
The older i get the better i was

perry

#4 Post by perry » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:32 am

It's not to my taste either Daryl but that does not matter, as you say - the Client is happy ! And he should be because there in an enormous amount of experience and time that allows you to make Bows that shoot as well as your's do !

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:35 pm

got a lot going on, but nice work!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:25 am

looks good

Alex

#7 Post by Alex » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:51 pm

Looks fantastic.
The riser is something.....
Lots of work involved in this one.
Alex.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:15 pm

Gentlemen, thank you for your interest in this project.

As much as I am not overly fussed with the design I did enjoy the challenge of bringing the components together.

This is the first time I have used Bearpaw glass as it was supplied by the client and noticed that it did not exhibit the imperfections that I have at times experienced with Bo-tuff glass.

The Bearpaw glass does not appear to have scrim.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

perry

#9 Post by perry » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:08 am

I have been very impressed with Bearpaw Archery Gear, great value and quality for the money. I had a Bodnik Deflex Refex that was made with Bearpaw clear Glass and there were no imperfections in it but it was not a glassy clear as Bowtuff.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#10 Post by bigbob » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:34 am

my only experience with Bearpaw glass happened several years ago and it wa not a happy one. It was terrible then, so obviously it was a bad batch or they lifted their game.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#11 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:51 am

I used Bearpaw on a few bows years ago and it was good ,i was actually thinking about getting a roll of it at the time but never did

UPTHETOP

#12 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:12 pm

I like it Daryl, got a bit of character and nothing like an original design and colours client must be over the moon with that one. Must be good to know you can fill an order to the clients tastes, mine are only made for myself would be to scared to build for someone else. Still love making all my own gear though it is very rewarding.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by greybeard » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi Wayno, pleased you like the design as at times they can be a personal thing..

The majority of the of the project was that of a competent wood worker, no bowyer skills required.

Knowing what to do with the prepared material falls on the bowyers skills.

Daryl.
[Ascham]