Just Add A Hair Dryer.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Just Add A Hair Dryer.

#1 Post by greybeard » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:02 pm

I needed to laminate some tip overlays [in a slight curve] for my new take down recurve.

After marking the limb tip profiles on to a timber off-cut and cutting the profile I was ready for the glue up.

As a rule I usually let the sun cure the epoxy on these small glue ups, but today being overcast it was not going to happen.

Generally I am a very patient person but for some reason I wanted to have the tip overlays glued on to the limbs this afternoon.

An empty carton doubled as the body for an oven, all I had to do was add the heat.
Hair Dryer Oven.JPG
Hair Dryer Oven.JPG (77.62 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
With the hair dryer set on warm and low speed selected the dryer put out too much heat so it meant switching the unit on and off, by doing this the temperature in the carton remained between 120 and 160 degrees.

By sourcing a suitable heating element and fan a mini oven could be a viable alternative.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

little arrows

Re: Just Add A Hair Dryer.

#2 Post by little arrows » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:44 pm

Now that's thinking outside the box, if you'll pardon the pun. The most surprising aspect - You have a Hairdryer Daryl :surprised:

cheers
sue :biggrin:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:34 pm

little arrows wrote:Now that's thinking outside the box, if you'll pardon the pun.....
Hi Sue,
The box was empty so I had to think outside of it.
little arrows wrote:.........The most surprising aspect - You have a Hairdryer Daryl :surprised :biggrin:
I had to get a hair dryer because at the time the then local council put a garden bed on the front footpath.

Prior to this event and in my younger working days I had the necessary short back and sides. Crew cuts and flat tops were also in vogue but could you image a group of young blokes sitting around discussing hair dryers.

As a result of the council garden bed I got termites, well actually I personally did not get termites but the house did probably because it isn’t a person.

Most women would think of a hair dryer as exactly that, but to my mind it was a compact, portable adjustable heat source with a two speed fan, wow!! and on special at Target for $10.00 what a bargain.

At the time heat guns were available but were fairly expensive, Ozito had not been born at that time.

I had also heard stories about people burning their house down when using these heat guns, which I thought was a bit drastic when trying to get rid of a few pesky termites.

These pesky little termites gained entry into the house and started to feast on the skirting boards. Luckily I had a vacuum cleaner otherwise I and the hair dryer would never have found the little buggers.

The reason for purchasing the compact, portable adjustable heat source with a two speed fan was to soften the adhesive that held the vinyl floor tiles to the slab so I could lift them without damaging them.

The termite man could have put his 13mm masonry bit through the vinyl but it wouldn’t look professional, not that he cared.

Now that I do have extra hair the hairdryer does serve its intended purpose.

I have since purchased an Ozito heat gun to have a go at heat tempering split bamboo poles and boy does it singe loose fibres.

I will have to make sure I don’t get the Ozito mixed up with the hair dryer otherwise I could end up looking like Michael Jackson before he reached puberty.

Now you know why I have a hair dryer.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:49 am

Hilarious Daryl! :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

little arrows

#5 Post by little arrows » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:14 pm

that's a crack up - glad I asked :lol:

rodlonq

#6 Post by rodlonq » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:39 am

Seems you know how to stay out of trouble Daryl. When I have small jobs to heat cure, I put them in the oven with baking paper underneath to catch any drips of epoxy. I don't get in trouble for doing it in the kitchen anymore as I have an oven in the shed for curing risers and tempering knives hehehe.

Cheers... Rod

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:13 pm

rodlonq wrote:Seems you know how to stay out of trouble Daryl. ...... I don't get in trouble for doing it in the kitchen anymore....
Hi Rod,

I got rid of the ball and chain about forty years ago.
rodlonq wrote:........I have an oven in the shed for curing risers......
The following is part of an article;

Interview with Bill Howland of Brackenbury Custom Bows

4. What is your best advice for an experienced bowyer?

"Heat your limbs not your risers! That advice is for the guys/gals that are building take-down bows. I don’t ever heat my risers. When I did I had problems…I don’t any more. Just glue ’em up, clamp ’em and let them sit in the clamps 24 hours at room temp. We don’t need heat to cure Smooth On.

The heat makes the big pieces of wood move and that’s when problems arise in a riser. And to compound the issue we usually put two or three different types of wood in the riser which expand and contract differently. Save yourself some problems, time, and money don’t heat your risers. And even for the guys/gals that are building one piece bows avoid heating those thicker pieces of wood.

You can design a single limb form and use heat tapes to avoid heating the thicker woods. I know there’s gonna be folks out that say, “I’ve been heating my risers for years and never had any problems.” And that’s fine, maybe you’re just better at it than me? I look at it like this…if you have very square ultra tight glue joints you don’t need to heat the riser to cure the epoxy.

Because when you heat the wood it expands then you take it out of the heat (after the epoxy has cured) then the wood contracts…but the epoxy that is hard doesn’t contract as much or at a different rate…Hmm? If nothing else, hopefully, I will get you thinking."

The following link will take you to the complete interview.

http://www.buildyourownbow.com/intervie ... stom-bows/

There are some interesting articles on the above web site.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:42 pm

yup totally agree, been leaving my recurve risers out of hotbox for yonks now. Definitely something in the mention of differing contraction rates .
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:56 pm

Good Advice

yeoman

#10 Post by yeoman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:22 am

In my heat box the thermostat is a $5 temp-triggered circuit breaker. Not a fancy device at all. I got it from Jaycar and the shop had a range of these from I think 30 degrees up to 70. My insulated heat box has a phase of 3-5 degrees between max and min temperatures.

If you wired one of these into a short extension cord, ran the extension cord with the circuit breaker through the box, then plugged the dryer into the extension cord, you would have a small temperature controlled box for only a few dollars.

It's far easier on a sunny day: park your car in the sun and put your assembly in the car. Cars can get up to 50 degrees or more, I hear.

DISCLAIMER

If you're not an electrician, you run the risk of doing yourself and your property some serious damage. If you're not competent with wiring, do not try this at home, kids.
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials