First selfbow, spotted gum - advice wanted :)

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Cdog

First selfbow, spotted gum - advice wanted :)

#1 Post by Cdog » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Hey all. I've been in touch with Perry and he encouraged me to ask any q's I might have on the forum here - I'm intending to make my first ever bow this summer uni holidays. My goal is to make it completely from scratch using hand tools, as simply and traditionally as possible, from harvesting and curing the timber right through to the bow string itself.

I have access to lots of spotted gum on a mate's property - I've managed to locate a few specimens that have long straight sections about 2.5 - 3 inches in diameter. My main questions for now:

1. Is 2.5 - 3 inches diameter spotted gum sapling thick enough/suitable for making a bow?

2. If so, how would I go about turning the cut log into a workable stave and then a bow - would I split it in half still at that thickness? Would that make it too thin? Should I maybe try and split it off-centre so that one side stays thicker?

3. What kind of a bow design would be best to make from it - I've heard that spotted gum is better suited to ALB/flatbow designs due to something I don't understand called "chrysal"?

Thanks for your help :)

- Clancy

perry

Re: First selfbow, spotted gum - advice wanted :)

#2 Post by perry » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:46 pm

Cdog wrote:Hey all. I've been in touch with Perry and he encouraged me to ask any q's I might have on the forum here - I'm intending to make my first ever bow this summer uni holidays. My goal is to make it completely from scratch using hand tools, as simply and traditionally as possible, from harvesting and curing the timber right through to the bow string itself.

I have access to lots of spotted gum on a mate's property - I've managed to locate a few specimens that have long straight sections about 2.5 - 3 inches in diameter. My main questions for now:

1. Is 2.5 - 3 inches diameter spotted gum sapling thick enough/suitable for making a bow?

2. If so, how would I go about turning the cut log into a workable stave and then a bow - would I split it in half still at that thickness? Would that make it too thin? Should I maybe try and split it off-centre so that one side stays thicker?

3. What kind of a bow design would be best to make from it - I've heard that spotted gum is better suited to ALB/flatbow designs due to something I don't understand called "chrysal"?

Thanks for your help :)

- Clancy
Question 1 - I have made many Bows from small diametre Saplings and Staves but the Bow could have a high crown on the Back. This is not ideal as a flat Back on a Bow is stronger under Tension than a high crowned Stave. If you make the Bow long and narrow you may get away with it. Another option is to work the Bow on the Back and Belly, effectively turn the Sapling into a Board Stave which will have a far wider and flat Back. You could also select a Sapling which has grown with an ovalised cross section and use the wide part of the oval cross section as the back. One thing - remove the Bark immediately as this will help keep insects invasion away.

Question 2 - Small diameter Tree's seldom split their entire length. You can achieve this if you take an Axe/ Tomahawk/ Machette and using a mallet hammer it so you score through the de-barked tree's outer surface the entire length of the Stave to the depth of a few cm's. Then use wedges and the Split should follow this score mark.

As I said in question 1's answer you could also work the outside crowns off the Tree. Aim to create a Board about 30mm deep and as wide and long as possible.

Question 3 - In my view Spotted Gum is best suited to a long narrow Flatbow limb say 30mm wide at least double the Archers draw length plus 12 inches long with a slightly narrower handle or a 40mm wide at the Fadeout narrowing to 15mm at the tips Pyramid limb that is at least as tall as the Archer.. Narrow the handle to 25mm wide and ensure the Fadeout's are a minimum of 70mm long

A chrysal is a shallow Compression Fracture, a Fret is a deep Compression Fracture. Compression Fractures are generally caused by removing to much wood then the limb bends too much and then fractures. You can also have wood that is very weak under compression or perhaps still green and thus prone to compression failure

I'll leave it for someone else to explain how to repair a compression fracture, it's very late and I'm buggered.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Cdog

#3 Post by Cdog » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:30 pm

Cheers Perry! Much appreciated. I guess the only other thing I need to know at this stage - it sounds like working the back and front of the log to create a board stave might be the way to go. My query is when you do this, do you want to preserve the growth rings/try and have one solid ring the whole back of the board? I hear some folks make bows out of spotted gum decking/flooring boards from Bunnings and I can't imagine those would follow a growth ring, but figured it'd be best to ask anyway just in case...not sure when/if growth rings are important

Thanks again!
- Clancy

perry

#4 Post by perry » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:38 am

This link might help you Clancy.

http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com.au/201 ... chive.html

Decrowning a Stave is a lot of work but like I said I have made many Bows from small diameter Tree's. Try making your Bow with the high crown, being Spotted Gum it should be Ok.

I have an unexpected weekend free, the young Fella I am teaching at present is away for the next 2 weeks doing a Blacksmithing Coarse. I'm away at the Stanthorpe Trad Shoot this weekend and home from next Wednesday as I am going on a Hunt after the shoot. If you wanted to wander up here the next weekend 5th and 6th of November and bring a cut Sapling I am sure we could have a good look at the Stave, decide on the design to best suit get it roughed out. Then it will need a little while to dry.

Your on holidays aren't you ? PM me I might be able to help you next week on Thursday or Friday also.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Cdog

#5 Post by Cdog » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Thanks for the link! Lots of great info in there.

Alas, my holidays don't start until the 15th of next month - until then I'm flat out with boring essays and exams unfortunately.

Sabinus

#6 Post by Sabinus » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Perry -just a quick shout-out to you to commend you for making your expertise so accessible to others. What lucky blokes (and (blokettes?) that are within coo-ee of you and can take you up on such a valuable and generous offer of your time, attention, and expertise.

Darren

perry

#7 Post by perry » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:26 pm

Thank you Darren. We all have benefited from the expertise and advice of other's. So long as we ALL continue to pass on our experience and knowledge Traditional Archery is in safe Hands Mate.

regards Perry

- Charles Darwin