Shield cut or Parabolic for Broadheads

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Turner

Shield cut or Parabolic for Broadheads

#1 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi all are there any advantages or disadvantages when it comes to using 5" shield cut feathers compared to 5" parabolics for use with broadheads, does either keep the arrow more stable and is either noisier than the other?
Interested in your thoughts and findings and advice.
Cheers
Ian

kimall

Re: Shield cut or Parabolic for Broadheads

#2 Post by kimall » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Shield cuts in my humble opinion(after testing) have been found to be a fair bit noisier.Others may have found a different result and I in no way suggest that my results are conclusive and/or correct for others. :lol:
Cheers KIM

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:20 am

Hi Ian,

I have not used shield cut feathers for a long time but I can remember when standing halfway down a 50 metre practise range I could hear them passing by. From memory the parabolic shape feather was quieter.

I do not know if different amounts of helical produce differing noise levels.

Perhaps banana cut feathers may be another option to try.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

perry

#4 Post by perry » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:36 pm

yep Shield Cut is noisier. Daryl makes a good suggestion, Banana Cut, lots more surface area for greater stability and in my experience no noisier that Parabolic. Biggest issue with commercial Feathers is they tend to be stiffer which is where most of the noise comes from.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Ian Turner

#5 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi Kimali, Daryl, Perry, thanks for your ideas, i think all the guys i shoot with all use shield cut and i noticed when at Rob's on sunday that i could hear the arrows flying by quite clearly, maybe because i was to the side not directly in front as a target would be; i happened to be a bit down range but safely behind a rock and i thought to myself hmmmm i wonder if a game animal would hear it coming and would it spook it.
Cheers
Ian

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:02 pm

Ian Turner wrote:.......... shield cut and i noticed when at Rob's on sunday that i could hear the arrows flying by quite clearly, maybe because i was to the side not directly in front as a target would be; i happened to be a bit down range but safely behind a rock and i thought to myself hmmmm i wonder if a game animal would hear it coming and would it spook it.........
Only if your arrow velocity drops below 1126 fps.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:46 pm

Afternoon.
Ian Turner wrote:... i noticed when at Rob's on sunday that i could hear the arrows flying by quite clearl...
The noise you are hearing is energy. That energy is being removed from the arrow .. the fletches are vibrating. If one arrow, for the same velocity, is noisier it is using up more energy ie tge arrow is experiencing more Drag and will lose Velocity faster.

A larger Parabolic may have more drag than a smaller Shield. You need to compare apples with apples.

ps Howard Hill used to trim his fletches so the sound produced a 3 note chord.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Ian Turner

#8 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi Daryl I haven't chronoed my GB longbow yet but do you reckon I'd be be getting 1126fps? :lol:
Cheers

perry

#9 Post by perry » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:38 pm

Compound or Trad, watch any Bowhunting Video you like, Game can and does react faster than an Arrow travels. A mate of mine has Video of his African Bowhunting trip, there is one bit of Footage where a Broadside Impala was shot tight behind the Shoulder, the Animal reacted so fast the Arrow exited the front of it's chest. Every Critter he shot heard the Arrow coming and dropped or turned in preparation to run before Impact

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

DavidM

#10 Post by DavidM » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Quite right Perry. I think it is commonly called "jumping the string" they certainly can hear the bow going off.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by greybeard » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:07 pm

Ian Turner wrote:.......and i noticed when at Rob's on sunday that i could hear the arrows flying by quite clearly......hmmmm i wonder if a game animal would hear it coming and would it spook it.
Did you hear the archers release?
perry wrote:........ Game can and does react faster than an Arrow travels........
DavidM wrote:....... I think it is commonly called "jumping the string" they certainly can hear the bow going off.
Perhaps the hunters release is more of a noise issue than the feather profile.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

GrahameA

#12 Post by GrahameA » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:45 am

Morning All.
greybeard wrote: ... Did you hear the archers release? ... ... Perhaps the hunters release is more of a noise issue than the feather profile.
I concur. :-)
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Ian Turner

#13 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:37 am

Hi guys no it was actually the arrow flying through the air I was about 10metres from the shooter.
Actually as a by the by when I am shooting at the local range where all types of bows are used and the lanes are quite a distance from each other and facing different angles I can quite clearly hear arrows flying through the air shot from compounds.
I don't hear the bow but certainly the arrows!
Cheers

DavidM

#14 Post by DavidM » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:13 pm

We must also keep in mind that animals can also hear different frequencies then we humans do, for example

Although deer can hear ultrasonic sounds, their hearing is most sensitive to moderate frequencies between 4,000 to 8,000 hertz. Humans also hear best at moderate frequencies between 2,000 to 5,000 hertz, which corresponds to the normal frequency of human speech.Oct 18, 2011

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by greybeard » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:30 pm

[Ascham]

stickshooter

#16 Post by stickshooter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:01 pm

4" low profile banana cut works well with broadhead flight & are quieter than parabolic & sheild cut.
But with all fletching the more helicoil the noisier they will be.