Tas oak/vic ash... backing?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

cadet

Tas oak/vic ash... backing?

#1 Post by cadet » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:16 am

So it's long been established that whatever of the several species sold as vic ash/tas oak are usually not much good for bow making (some exceptions here and there notwithstanding), often, as I understand, suffering compression failure; but while wandering past racks of timber the other day in Bunnings, (and after a spotted gum board bow had a splinter lift and run full length on me after piking and re-tillering something long and whip-ended) some strips of rift-sawn 4mmx30mm tas oak with perfectly straight grain tempted me to think about using it as ready-made backing for other timbers; anyone tried it? Might it stand tension reasonably well? It might be a way of achieving deeper sections for stronger board bows when most boards are only 18-19mm thick as standard. Maybe it would balance well as a backing against something like white cypress (which I'm experiencing some modest success and a lot of fun working with)
Or am I just about to learn something the hard way that was long ago learned by others if I'd only care to learn from them?!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Tas oak/vic ash... backing?

#2 Post by greybeard » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:56 am

The only way to find out is to have a go, its all part of the learning curve.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

hunterguy1991

#3 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:08 am

I think you will run into trouble with splinters in it as well mate but as Daryl said, its always worth a little experiment and see what happens.

For heavy board bows you can always laminate 2 boards together... Have done that before with several timbers and it works fine. My favorite bow I own (105lb hickory and cypress warbow) was made by laminating 2 parallel boards together and leaving the run out when the belly taper was cut... Tillered perfectly, not a single fret and shoots beautifully!!

I will always go to bamboo as a cheap backing option for board bows... The performance it gives is unreal... And it can be obtained pretty easily from Bunning's or Masters (till they close)...

I look forward to seeing your experiment in any case!! Who knows, could work perfectly.

Colin

cadet

#4 Post by cadet » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:06 pm

Looks like I just have to try it then!

I was working on a cypress bow yesterday, from half of a board I ripped in half and which had already made a ripper little self bow from the first half; yesterday's - longer than the other, too, exploded due to a tension failure... should have backed it... I still really like working with it though.

hunterguy1991

#5 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:24 pm

Yea I prefer a backing for boards normally... I think they can tend to become brittle from kiln drying then a long time in the racks. Bamboo and hickory for an ELB would make,in interesting combo. I know Mick has a heavy one like it in the works so will be keen to see how it goes.

I'm yet to try Cypress as a flat bow bit dont see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Colin