Chrysalis problem with Bamboo backed Osage

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

The big Kahuna

Chrysalis problem with Bamboo backed Osage

#1 Post by The big Kahuna » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:31 pm

I'm having a few compression fractures (slight) appearing . Any ideas on how to keep them under control. I've done the pinholes but I'm wondering if sinew wrapping or rawhide would help. The bamboo is under 1/16'' thick and I've made a few bows with this ratio of bamboo to osage with great success. The osage on this bow is 1/4 sawn and clear. Maybe just one of those things to keep us on our toes. regards Mark ps. I don't/can't do photos. Oh I forgot to mention,..50 Ib @ 28'' 64'' ntn Dean Torges style bow.
Last edited by The big Kahuna on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hunterguy1991

Re: Chrysalis problem with Bamboo backed Osage

#2 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:44 pm

can you put up some pics of the bow and the frets so we can see whats going on exactly please.

It may be that 64"ntn is just a bit short for that design?

The big Kahuna

Re: Chrysalis problem with Bamboo backed Osage

#3 Post by The big Kahuna » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:28 am

Yes, I think it is a combination of things. 64'' is a bit short but that is all I had and the osage being 1/4 sawn. The osage had very tight rings and the grain was dead straight. Mid limb the osage was down to 1/4'' thick. In other similar bows where the osage was plain sawn it was 3/8'' thick mid limb with the same specs. I think I will wrap the problem spot with sinew and see what happens. regards Mark