Oiling Spotted gum board bow.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Bago

Oiling Spotted gum board bow.

#1 Post by Bago » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Hey guys i have just finished tillering and sanding my 1st bow ive made. Im going to finish the timber with some natural decking oil that i have at home that i use on my own deck. Im just not sure if i should oil the backing on the bow aswell??? I backed it with plasterboard fibretape and white cotton glued with titebond 2. It came up yellow and dont like the colour. Could i oil it aswell? Do you usually oil the backing aswell when finishing bows?? Cheers guys

Bago

woodie

Re: Oiling Spotted gum board bow.

#2 Post by woodie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:36 pm

I have used trueoil (gunstock oil) or linseed oil to finish self bows as well as laminated bows.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

hunterguy1991

#3 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:19 pm

A coat of paint will work if you don't like the colour of the back. that or try a bit of the oil on a test piece and see what it does first then if you like how it goes oil the bow as well.

Bago

#4 Post by Bago » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:35 pm

woodie wrote:I have used trueoil (gunstock oil) or linseed oil to finish self bows as well as laminated bows.
woodie
Thanks for the reply woodie! Funny you say that cause i went ahead and used tru-oil as i had some left over from when i redone a stock from an old lithgow 22. Ill take some pics and put them up later.

Bago

#5 Post by Bago » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:38 pm

hunterguy1991 wrote:A coat of paint will work if you don't like the colour of the back. that or try a bit of the oil on a test piece and see what it does first then if you like how it goes oil the bow as well.
Ok thanks mate. Might paint it brown i think and tru-oil over the top. Cheers!