The Last Olive Stave

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

JoeLethbridge

The Last Olive Stave

#1 Post by JoeLethbridge » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:52 pm

When I first began making bows at the age of 10, the first tree I used was Northern Olive (chionanthus ramiflora), and is a fast growing species native to North-eastern Australia as well as quite numerous Asian nations. This was a happy coincidence, as the wood was fairly well suited to selfbows, as it is common, easy to work and will not fail if the correct design is chosen. The timber has slightly interlocked grain, and varies from cream to pale pink in color
Native olive.jpg
Native olive.jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
However, after a couple of years I began experimenting with other timbers, such as black wattle, damsen plum, scrub python tree, Pink Ash, and Stringybark. These timbers, as well as also being well-suited to selfbows, are more attractive than the olive, which is part of the reason. I have been using the said woods for 4 years or so and have chosen a few favorites.
20160705_175429.jpg
20160705_175429.jpg (265.54 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
20160705_175403.jpg
20160705_175403.jpg (236.58 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
This shows the current stage that the stave is at. Apologies for poor photos, will hopefully be better quality next time.

I still have a well-seasoned stave of olive in rafters that I've only recently noticed, and I've come to the conclusion that this last stave should be used, to signify the end of an era, I suppose. I have begun to rough the bow into a sort of Holmegaard/Andaman style using a machete, and will clean up the sides with a stanley surform.

I guess this can be counted as a build-along, and will post pictures of my progress whenever possible. Last of all, I am open to suggestions and constructive criticism, so feel free to share your opinions and offer advice.
Joe
Last edited by JoeLethbridge on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeLethbridge

Re: The Last Olive Stave

#2 Post by JoeLethbridge » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Finished roughing out the stave.
large web.jpg
large web.jpg (77.72 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
Let the floor tillering begin!
Doc large 2.jpg
Doc large 2.jpg (136.01 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
Forgot to mention the dimensions in the first post. The stave is 72" long, but I'll shorten it later. The length from the fades to the mid-limb is 2" wide, and the tips are around 10 mm. The handle is currently 1 3/4" deep, 30 mm wide and 5" long.
Joe

hunterguy1991

#3 Post by hunterguy1991 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:50 pm

Looking very nice so far mate! Very tidy work on the profile :smile:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi Joe,

The roughed out stave is looking good.

I searched the internet for the mechanical properties of the Northern Olive (chionanthus ramiflora) but without success. Possibly details are scarce because the timber does not have any commercial value.

How would you compare this timber with python wood [Austromyrtus Bidwillii]?

Looking forward to seeing the finished bow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

JoeLethbridge

#5 Post by JoeLethbridge » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:30 am

Thanks hunterguy1991.
Daryl, I recall a website mentioning that the timber is used for light scaffolding and floorboards in Nepal. Its easy to understand the lack of commercial worth, as the largest trees I have seen are barely pushing 50 cm across.
The well-known Youtuber Primitive Technology also uses it for his bows and tool handles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLoukoBs8TE
According to this website it's begun to make itself well-know as a pest down around Brisbane. http://www.technigro.com.au/documents/W ... 0Olive.pdf

From my experience, it is stronger in tension than compression, which is why a flatbow design is being used. The wood is not overly dense (I would perform a specific density test, but the stave is all the timber I have), similar to lightweight Moreton Bay Ash. Python timber is much denser than Olive, although, in my experience, they are both stronger in tension than compression. Python wood does not have interlocked grain, which makes it easier to work.
One thing I should have mentioned earlier is that all of the Olive staves I have ever split have twisted 90 degrees from end to end, although I can always squeeze a bow out of them. I suppose this is a common characteristic caused by environmental factors in my locality.

I've reduced that stave down 15 mm thickness, to the extent that I can begin tillering.
20160707_085426.jpg
20160707_085426.jpg (262.7 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
Here, the stave is drawn to 20 inches with a slack (and slightly elastic, which is why it might look a bit funny). The stave is still 72".
20160707_085547.jpg
20160707_085547.jpg (258.63 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
I won't post a photo of every single tiller check, but will show any significant changes.
Joe

hunterguy1991

#6 Post by hunterguy1991 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:03 am

Looks like a solid start, need to get the outer part of the working limb moving now tho of you'll risk a lot of set. Keep it up and lots of photos!

JoeLethbridge

#7 Post by JoeLethbridge » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:04 am

Do you know how when some bows break, you just hear a little 'tick' and then its all over, and then other times there's a huge bang, and suddenly your one piece bow is a three piece bow? Well, the latter happened today.

I had got it bending almost enough to put a string on it, and was setting it up for the photo when it broke.
Fortunately, something very similar happened with an olive holmegaard 2 years ago and I still have the intact half of that bow (the hoarder always wins). So I'm considering splicing the two intact halves of those two bows together and trying again.
Joe

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:00 am

JoeLethbridge wrote:........and then other times there's a huge bang, and suddenly your one piece bow is a three piece bow?......
I had that happen to a short Osage flatbow when using the 'push pull' method to string it to check the tiller and it blew up in a spectacular manner.

It is unfortunate about the last olive stave, have you been able to ascertain as to why it failed?

Hopefully you can successfully splice it into the other half bow you have.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

JoeLethbridge

#9 Post by JoeLethbridge » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:31 pm

Daryl, from memory the other half of that bow failed in a similarly spectacular way.

I believe the knot present in the area of the break and the stave's high crown both contributed to the breakage. The area of that limb also had a wavy surface, which made tillering that part of the bow difficult.

I will splice the bows, but I don't think I'll do it anytime soon.
Lets hope my next buildalong will have a better ending :oops: :lol:

Old Soul

#10 Post by Old Soul » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:56 pm

Hey Joel,

Great to see you finally sharing some of your great work with us. I can't wait to see the finished product.... make sure you post a picture. I love the profile.

I hope the north is treating you well. I have been down south here for a year now. I've been chasing these dam deer the whole time, I'm getting close but still haven't managed to get one yet. Maybe one day you will bring your bow down and I can take you out chasing a couple.

Keep us posted on the bow. Heaps of spotted gum down here to. Getting the itch to cut a couple trees for staves. Say G'day to Rob for me also.

Scott

JoeLethbridge

#11 Post by JoeLethbridge » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Hi Scott,
This one unfortunately made the very rapid journey from being a one piece bow to a three piece bow. However, I do possess half of a similar bow that blew up a few years ago. Same wood, similar dimensions, so splicing the intact halves is an option. Might just wait a while first.

Would like to get into hunting but I haven't had many opportunities. Good luck with your bowmaking endeavours!
Joe