Abbey Archery comp bow - Self Red Ash ELB

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

Abbey Archery comp bow - Self Red Ash ELB

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:12 pm

Evening all,

Had a bow I wanted to work on at the Abbey medieval festival last year but never got a chance, too busy talking to all the folks interested in the work I had on display and asking questions about making them.

I am determined to make one there this year but as for the one I had intended on making last year, I have nearly finished it and will carry in for the archery comp on the 2 days. It is a red ash self ELB, 70" ntn and 60lb @28 inches. I decided on side nocks for something a little unique on this bow and it has plenty of character with a bit of bend and a few knots here and there. It is a twin of the bow I shot in the comp last year and did very well so Im keen to give this one a run this year!

No full draw photos as of yet but will get some for you all.

Here are a few of the bow as is (still needs a finer sand and finish but looks a treat)

Back
Red ash back.jpg
Red ash back.jpg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Belly
Red ash Belly.jpg
Red ash Belly.jpg (49.97 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Brace
Brace.jpg
Brace.jpg (129.97 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Side nock
Side nock.jpg
Side nock.jpg (138.29 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Let me know what you think!

Colin

cadet

Re: Abbey Archery comp bow - Self Red Ash ELB

#2 Post by cadet » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:54 am

What do I think? I like!
The side-nocks are an interesting feature, and something I want to have a play with. Where do you get your horn from? Must a side-nock be horn etc, or can they be self? Or would that likely split the bow?

hunterguy1991

Re: Abbey Archery comp bow - Self Red Ash ELB

#3 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:12 am

Thanks mate!

Blokes in the UK tend to argue that side nocks were the norm in the middle ages because they are quicker to cut than a Victorian nock, im not 100% convinced myself.

I order my horn from the Longbowshop in the UK, buff horn tips are about 5 dollars or so and you can usually get 2 out of each if they are large enough.

I have cut self nocks in timber before but it does place a high risk of splitting the bow stave (although a few blokes in the UK will also argue this point)

Just as a matter of experiment I did some in a high weight bow after I was ensured they would not split by some of these British "experts" after I had explained the mechanics of the stresses and load paths involved to which they dismissed it all. Sure enough the stave started to split from the string tension like I said it would!!

They are fine in low weight bows tho... this one had timber side nocks while tillering and it was fine. The trick with side nocks is to cut them both on the same side of each respective tip so the string is on an angle across the bow when braced but is in the middle of the stave at the point you hold the arrow on the string. Cutting them in horn does take practice to make sure the string wont slip.

I will get a side on photo so you can see the shape of the string groove to help you a bit.

Colin