Out of the hospital back in the shop

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

BenBow

Out of the hospital back in the shop

#1 Post by BenBow » Sat May 21, 2016 6:46 am

:biggrin: Feels good to smell sawdust again. I'm finishing up a new longbow based on my interpretation of the Cari-Bow Silver Fox riser. I've been sliming my risers down and think this it getting close to what I'm after. 17" end to end, cut 1/8" past center, hickory with bloodwood beam, bloodwood/maple/fiberglass accent. I'm probably going to paint and paint dip this in a camo pattern as the wood is pretty plain. I put a coat of gloss on it to find and scratches that need to be worked. Working on the limbs now which are 45# at 28" which will go down a bit after final shaping and sanding. Not as nice as the Cari-Bow but I like the slim look and feel.

bigbob

Re: Out of the hospital back in the shop

#2 Post by bigbob » Sat May 21, 2016 5:13 pm

that look a smooth design for a takedown longbow.I like it!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

BenBow

#3 Post by BenBow » Sat May 21, 2016 9:37 pm

Got the limbs finished last night so I'll get more pics up. 64" n to n 43.4 # at 28" plann on building a set of 55# limbs to match.
I made this out of a 19" riser block that I made for a heavy set of limbs. It had limb bolts coming from the belly of the riser into hidden nuts in the limb. So I didn't want to toss it so I plugged the holes and used it for this riser.

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun May 22, 2016 8:02 am

Very nice ,i like it too

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Sun May 22, 2016 10:35 am

Ben,

It is good news that you are back in the workshop.

I prefer the slimmer risers also as I believe they smooth out the lines of the bow.
BenBow wrote:I'm probably going to paint and paint dip this in a camo pattern as the wood is pretty plain.
Would a timber stain/dye add depth to the colour?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

BenBow

#6 Post by BenBow » Sun May 22, 2016 11:48 am

Well limbs on, stippled the grip, satin finish over gloss, and got some shots through it. Really liking the light weight and feel of the low grip. Not a screamer but smooth, silent, and crisp.
Unbraced
Braced
28" draw
Pin/standard nock cross
Stippled grip
Force Draw Curve

BenBow

#7 Post by BenBow » Mon May 23, 2016 12:08 pm

Decided not to paint it as that seems to be the consensus. So I want to hide the plugs. I have some bison horn that comes off in layers and is curved. It will lay right over the plugs so I need to decide what shape to carve them so they're decorative. Maybe a bear head for one and a knapped arrowhead for the other. Guess I'll just play with it.

UPTHETOP

#8 Post by UPTHETOP » Mon May 23, 2016 10:20 pm

Very nice Ben, I like the plane look I think sometimes we can over think the presentation of a bow when if it works as we designed it and shoots well we have already won the battle. Love your posts and ideas, keep them coming.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

rodlonq

#9 Post by rodlonq » Wed May 25, 2016 9:04 am

Good to see you've recovered and back into the shop. Seems you haven't lost anything, great result on this project. I think the bison horn overlays to cover the plugs is a good idea and will give the bow extra mojo as well.

Cheers... Rod