Bow building glues

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

bowshu

Bow building glues

#1 Post by bowshu » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:26 am

Hi Guys
just like to know what glues do you bow builders use

bigbob

Re: Bow building glues

#2 Post by bigbob » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:45 am

speaking for myself , and building 'glass bows , I only use smooth on a two part epoxy with great properties that was formulated expressly for bow building. If your planning on all wood bows then titebond 3 is a great glue. One big reason for my choice is its long 'potlife' around 2 hours at a moderate ambient temperature, and that it dries clear. John Mcdonald of amso 128 in Aus stocks it.Others report good results with Techiglue, an australian product I believe but with a shorter pot life.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:02 pm

I have to agree with Bob that the extended pot life of Smooth on EA40 makes it an obvious winner in our warmer climate.

In the earlier days I was using Techniglue CA [in excess of 30 bows] and did not have any durability issues however pot life was an issue and on a hot day pot life could be less than 30 minutes.
TECHNIGLUE_CA.pdf
(26.61 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Smooth on EA40.pdf
(288.93 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
As temperature increases pot life decreases.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

yeoman

#4 Post by yeoman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:06 pm

When I make my wood bows (single stave backed with bamboo or timber) I use Smooth On EA-40. I can't fault it. It is easy to mix, has a long pot life, spreads well, isn't too runny, cures in a couple of hours with heat or in 24 without. It bonds exceptionally well, and it doesn't smell too heinous.

I am disappointed with myself that I did not adopt it earlier.

It is the world standard in bow making epoxy for a very good reason.
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:21 am

++ for SmoothOn.

bowshu

#6 Post by bowshu » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:29 am

thanks for all your input gentleman I have made a few bows and only used smoothon I was going to try Techni glue so I put this post up just to see your professional opinion was, it has been about 5 years since I have built one though, as I got married the family grew had to find a bigger house and have been busy renovating and only just put up a shed so keen to start building again as I still have a few supplies and bamboo (should be well seasoned) :smile: to keep me busy for a while

bowshu

#7 Post by bowshu » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:25 am

Hey guys tried to email John has he changed his email address ??

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#8 Post by Outbackdad » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:22 am

http://amso128.com.au/contact

Add is on the main page of Ozbow.

www.ozbow.net

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:38 pm

nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

The Ranger

#10 Post by The Ranger » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:53 pm

I use Techniglue on all my bows. Mainly because I live in a cold climate and Techniglue is fairly runny. Smooth on is fine on warmer days but I've never had any issues with either of the two glues.

Ranger
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

bowshu

#11 Post by bowshu » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:45 pm

thanks guys
:Bow

perry

#12 Post by perry » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:04 am

I have not made a laminated Bow in a long time. I'll put a good word in for Bote Cote http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php? ... x&cPath=15 Not too expensive, available in smaller quantities, never had trouble with working time and I've never had a Glue failure.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Nezwin

#13 Post by Nezwin » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:58 pm

Since Perry was brave enough to suggest something other than Smooth On or Techniglue...

For laminate bows & backed bows I use an industrial epoxy, Australian made and available from most composite retailers (I forget the name of it, I'm afraid - it's all numbers & letters, not a snappy product name). It's thicker than Smooth On (more of a gel than a liquid) and has a 45 minute pot life, which is workable for me without issues. I do the occassional non-bow bit of work, so it's useful to have something which has the flexibility to be used in other contexts, like marine or aircraft. For timber-only bows I use Titebond III. It's good stuff, cheap & easily available from Masters or Carbatec.

Smooth On EA-40 is the world standard for bow glues but it is just a chemical epoxy, no different to many other epoxies. It just happens to be a product that is well marketed and does a great job in the context of bowmaking. There are other options if you do a bit of research but they might be overkill - if you're just building bows, there's no reason to use anything else (unless you can get something equally good or better, easier or cheaper). If you happen to have a composites retailer nearby and would prefer to buy over the counter rather than online, almost all retailers would have a product of similar or greater strength & viscosity for a price that is not too far off EA-40.

Edit: I believe a lot of people have also had success with Urac-185. There's a bow maker in Pennsylvania who uses this for his bamboo-backed trilams.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by greybeard » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:31 pm

Nezwin wrote:......I believe a lot of people have also had success with Urac-185. There's a bow maker in Pennsylvania who uses this for his bamboo-backed trilams.
This product was discontinued some time back.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....