Log Splitting Advice Sought

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Nezwin

Log Splitting Advice Sought

#1 Post by Nezwin » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:01 pm

I was recently (incredibly) fortunate enough to be given the chance to trim some Yew trees in Victoria, including the felling of a 7 foot semi-dead stump.
Tutto Yew.jpg
Tutto Yew.jpg (207.32 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Most of the branches will be a challenge to get a single billet from, but the larger log does provide some opportunity, I'm hoping.
Log (single).jpg
Log (single).jpg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
The picture above shows the other side of the log from the first picture.

The log is 75" in total length (I had to take a few inches off to fit it in the ute) with about 57" to the split, about 8" diameter at the base.
Log Length.jpg
Log Length.jpg (162.19 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Length to Split.jpg
Length to Split.jpg (219.36 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Diameter.jpg
Diameter.jpg (184.22 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
I'll need to clean the cuts & seal them fairly quickly, then I plan to take it to Yeoman's and split it (unless I manage to split it myself first). Once split, I'll strip the bark on the staves and leave to season. I've done the same with Osage recently, so I'm confident I won't have too much trouble.

However...

It's not an 'ideal' log (aside from it being ideally free & ideally in my yard now), with the split & branches coming from it. So what advice would you give in splitting this? I don't have a handheld circular saw to cut in kerfs for splitting and I want to try & maximise the number of staves from the log. Or would it be better to cut into sections and process into billets? Or, at the very worst, process into boards for backing with bamboo or hickory?

Previously I've cut relatively straight & clean branches from Yew's, so this is somewhat more of a challenge! I'd appreciate all & every bit of input into how to get the most out of this.

Thanks,

Neil

yeoman

Re: Log Splitting Advice Sought

#2 Post by yeoman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:14 pm

Fortunately, I do have a circular saw, so if you want to wait a few days, we can all gather round and watch while you do all the work! :biggrin:

How long are the branches after the fork?

I think no matter how you go about it, splitting near the fork is going to be.....er......an handful.
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

Nezwin

#3 Post by Nezwin » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:26 pm

yeoman wrote:Fortunately, I do have a circular saw, so if you want to wait a few days, we can all gather round and watch while you do all the work! :biggrin:
Then we can reliably expect a Monty Python-esque disaster! I was thinking of splitting down the fork before heading your way, it would make handling it a lot easier. I'll probably trim off all the extra branches & tags that are still stubs at this point, just to get a clearer idea of where there is usable wood & where there is big knots.
yeoman wrote:How long are the branches after the fork?
Longitudinally, about 20", but they go off at an angle so there's perhaps an inch or two extra. Not enough for billets :( There might be a billet or two in the other branches, though. But then again, some of those branches could also make cool neolithic sapling-style bows with very, very little work...

The big Kahuna

#4 Post by The big Kahuna » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:52 pm

Don't split the Yew. Cut it with a 9'' saw or a large band saw. I leave the bark on and seal the ends and the exposed surface.
You can get a bow out of a branch 1 1/2'' to 2'dia. I have cut slats and backed it with bamboo with good results but you need
to taper the bamboo off at the tips as it will overpower the yew and create a fair amount of string follow. A bamboo backed
osage bow of the same dimensions doesn't seem to have this problem. The yew is pretty soft and easy to work. Looks
great as well.
regards Mark

Hamish

#5 Post by Hamish » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:43 am

From what I can see in the photo's I would concentrate on the clear midsection, and avoid the base, and the fork. Try for the cleanest, straightest section 42" long. That way you will get some decent billets, rather than marginal wood that may or may not make a full length bow of sorts. Victorian era yew bows were virtually all made from spliced billets, even when clear full length staves were available.

I would also split any wood that has branch knots. Trying to saw straight boards from less that perfect logs , is going to give you short grain from any twist, and knots.
Split at least in halves to get the lay of the grain, if straight go for the bandsaw or a hand held circular saw to cut kerfs. If propellored, wavy or knotty keep splitting. This method will insure you get wood with the grain intact, which we all know is what makes the difference between a working, durable bow and pieces of kindling.

Nezwin

#6 Post by Nezwin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:09 am

Thanks for the input, guys. Much appreciated.

I think - and I'm willing to be corrected or convinced otherwise - I'm going to saw off the knots/branches to 'smooth' the log and then, with the bow saw, start a cut from the split toward the base. When I've got as far as I can with that cut, I'll make another cut at the base to the maximum depth of the bow saw. Then I'll try to split with wedges between the cuts, giving me two halves that will be easier to handle and, as Hamish pointed out, give me a good look at the grain inside. From there I can work out if it's feasible to get the bandsaw or table saw onto the halves for cutting into staves. I can see the logic in using the saw for that - from reading some of my bowyer books, it would seem that Yew can split quite poorly (the previous log I'd split with my brothers didn't have any problems though), so to maximise staves I'll be needing to use the saw, I think, as Mark suggested.

How does that sound? I'd prefer to make the split along a kerf from the base to the split but I've no idea how I'd do that before the weekend... Unless someone has a suggestion?

yeoman

#7 Post by yeoman » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:52 pm

Happy ending:

Perhaps happy progress is more apt.

Anyway. We cut it in twain. Twice. So this big beast of a log is now in four, each one will have at least one bow in it, though the lengths of these four will vary quite a bit.

'twas a terrific adventure, each of the five of us considering how best to misguide the rest.
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

Hamish

#8 Post by Hamish » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Good news. Any pic's? I love a good splitting(especially when someone else is wielding the sledge).

Nezwin

#9 Post by Nezwin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:16 am

As Dave said, it got cut up into 4.
Chainsaw 3.jpg
Chainsaw 3.jpg (96.61 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
First 4.jpg
First 4.jpg (128.32 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
With the bandsaw I was also able to split the largest of these again, although one of those split off would be unsuitable for a selfbow and will require a backing.

The timber is 'interesting'. Not like any Yew I've seen before. The pictures may not do justice but it has a very distinct pink hue to it, which may darken with time.
Twighlight 1.jpg
Twighlight 1.jpg (117.9 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
Twighlight 2.jpg
Twighlight 2.jpg (109.75 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
There's also the 'twighlight' band running through it (Dave's terminology) - certainly heartwood, but very light coloured, almost white. I'm waiting on some expert advice from Canada as to what that might mean.

Due to the way the staves were removed, each has a propeller twist about 25" from one end, so that will be the first challenge to tackle. They also have inordinately thick sapwood (from my little experience with Yew) - in the range of 1/2" - which could mean some thinning and/or decrowning will be necessary. The back itself is generally pretty flat, so I'm erring toward thinning.
Sapwood Measure.jpg
Sapwood Measure.jpg (116.19 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
Sapwood Measure 1.jpg
Sapwood Measure 1.jpg (102.87 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
Sapwood Measure 2.jpg
Sapwood Measure 2.jpg (87.13 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
For now, though, they'll sit in the shed with the ends sealed, awaiting a time when I can do them justice. Except for Colin's stave, which will sit there for a year or so before I take it up!

Had a great day meeting some other members of this forum, sharing some food & bow thoughts, and getting this log cut up. It was great to see other peoples work - the value of that can't be exaggerated, for me. It was a superb opportunity to share skills and get honest, critical feedback. Looking forward to the next one! I'd encourage everyone on this board to consider some regional meet-ups, not just to shoot, but to talk about building too.

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:12 pm

Looks good