Any bow-makers in South East QLD?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Cdog

Any bow-makers in South East QLD?

#1 Post by Cdog » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:03 pm

Hey all, first post on here!

I've been looking around the internet a tonne on this topic and I'm really keen to build my own traditional longbow from wild-harvested wood from the bush, using only basic hand tools.

I've just never done it before and I was wondering if there is anyone on here in South East Queensland with bow making experience who would be willing to take me under their wing (bowstring?) and show me a few things, maybe help me through the process the first time and give me some pointers. Beer rewards and/or guitar lessons could be offered in return :]

Cheers!
- Clancy

hunterguy1991

Re: Any bow-makers in South East QLD?

#2 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:11 am

G'day mate and welcome!

Plenty of us bowmakers here in SE QLD. Myself, Perry, Bigbob and Greybeard (profile names) to name a few.

Is there a particular style of longbow that you most like?

I would suggest you swing Perry a pm and have a chat with him. He is a top guy with a world of experience and plenty of patience with beginners and might be able to help you get your first stick and string working.

I also wouldn't mind you dropping by and watching me work and asking questions about whats going on so that's another option for you :smile:

Hope that helps a bit,

Colin

Cdog

#3 Post by Cdog » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks Colin! I might be up your way for the folk festival between xmas and new years if you're about, otherwise perhaps some other time? Any excuse to get up to that part of the world is a good excuse :)

hunterguy1991

#4 Post by hunterguy1991 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:57 pm

I will have to see whats happening work wise at that time but I should be floating around I'd say :smile: