A Question About Core Thickness

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

woodie

A Question About Core Thickness

#1 Post by woodie » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi all I have a question for the more advanced bow makers, I am going to have a go at making a recurve that is like the Bear Kodiak super mag, I think that is the one. It will be 43.5" long unstrung with a riser about 10" long. As in this shape.
recurve bow.jpg
recurve bow.jpg (27.28 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
My question is what would be a starting point in core thickness to make a 45-55#@28" bow with 2" wide limbs?
I was thinking of using 40thou glass and bamboo lams.
I know this is going to be hard for a first time recurve bow maker but hay if this work it will be fun.
Thanks woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: A Question About Core Thickness

#2 Post by greybeard » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:05 pm

woodie wrote:........... It will be 43.5" long unstrung ..........
Ron,

To get the correct length of the bow you need to measure between the string nocks by laying a tape along the back of the bow.

Daryl,
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

woodie

#3 Post by woodie » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:18 am

The length is not the question u am not sure where to start with the core thickness.
Ronald

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:22 am

woodie wrote:The length is not the question.............
Ron,

To determine core thickness you need to know what the total length of the working limbs are.

Some other factors that will influence core thickness are, length and degree of taper of fadeouts, will the recurve section of the tips be working, static or somewhere in between.

Additionally the distance between the pivot point of the riser and the string nocks of the unbraced bow will also play a part when determining core thickness.

Have a read of the following post, it may fill in some of the gaps.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14106

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

woodie

#5 Post by woodie » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Thanks Daryl I will have a read of that later when I get home from work.
To answer all those things you said that is why I added the picture of the bow I was going to try and make.
Ronald

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:40 pm

woodie wrote:...... I am going to have a go at making a recurve that is like the Bear Kodiak super mag, I think that is the one. It will be 43.5" long unstrung......
Ron,

I believe that the bow you have in mind is 48" AMO.

The shortest recurve that I have made is 60" AMO so my core calculations would be useless in your application.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

woodie

#7 Post by woodie » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:12 pm

No worries Daryl, hopefully there may be someone here has tried if not the old trial and error will have to be done I think.
Ron