Laminate Holmegaard bow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

Laminate Holmegaard bow

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:17 am

Morning all,

Just wanted to show off a bow I made this week. Mate of mine is very taken with the Danish Holemgaard bow and asked if it would be possible to make him a heavy-ish one for hunting. "No worries" was my reply :biggrin:

Bow is a hickory back, massaranduba belly with lemonwood and mass handle and buff horn tip overlays. Pulls 60lbs at his 26" true draw.

Put some reflex into the limbs on glue up and it ended up around 3/4 or an inch out of the form. Took maybe a half inch set after shooting so not too bad.

Will get some photos of brace and the tips over the weekend as I forgot to get some yesterday.

Let me know what you reckon.
Full draw.jpg
Full draw.jpg (115.47 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
Handle.jpg
Handle.jpg (82.23 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
Name and specs.jpg
Name and specs.jpg (70.52 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
Colin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Laminate Holmegaard bow

#2 Post by greybeard » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:04 pm

Nice work Colin,

Was tillering this style of bow easier than you may have anticipated?

As a matter of interest can you give us the plan layout dimensions.

I have done these bows as glass laminates as well as selfbows and was interested to see what numbers you came up with.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

hunterguy1991

#3 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks Daryl!

Yes it was very easy to tiller. Had it shooting in 20 mins after I started though I did get it even before I put the backing on but that would have been another 10mins tops.

Being such a small amount of bending limb they tiller very quickly.

I set it out to be 66ntn originally but ended up going 67 as inch over hangs on the tips just looked too long. It is 32mm wide a the widest point of the bending limb near the handle and tapered to about 25mm (from memory). I like a slight taper in width in the bending limb, just looks nicer to me. The non bending outer limbs started off tapering from just under 3/4 of an inch to just over half inch and finished up all just over half inch for their 9" length. Handle is 4 inches, handle fades were 2.5 or 3 inches (cant remember which) and the outer limb fades were 2.5" and the bending limb was what ever was left... I think maybe an inch more than your Degame version. That's where I got the original plan for this and then I made it 2 inches shorter :biggrin:

Fun bow to make and they're growing on me. I will make one for myself eventually though the collection is starting to get a little big for my room haha.

Colin

perry

#4 Post by perry » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:43 am

Seems every time I log on to Ozbow Colin you have another Bow made, crikey your prolific ! makes me smile Mate. Nice looking Bow, I'll forgive you for the Toolmarks :biggrin:

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hunterguy1991

#5 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:15 am

Thanks Perry,

There are others I've done that aren't up on here :wink: had a few orders from around the place that are keeping me busy.

I let Warwick finish the bow and told him to be as thorough as he liked... He got most of them but I wouldn't have stopped quite so soon. He's more focused on function than fashion which is alright by me.

If I make it out to see John working on his i'll bring my primitive ash flatbow and you can look at the tooling marks still in it :D sweet shooter tho.

Colin