American (White?) Oak limbs

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

scottgze

American (White?) Oak limbs

#1 Post by scottgze » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:52 pm

Hi all.

First post here, after much lurking.

I'm in the tillering stage of my second bow, after discovering that Tas Oak doesn't make a good selfbow on No. 1 :roll: Bow no. 2 is everyone's favorite, spotted gum. Got a hinge to work out, and DAMN it's heavy, I struggle to get it strung with a string 3" shorter than the bow (for those that will ask, 72" bow, roughly 70" NTN, 68" dacron string).

However, not the question at hand. I have access to many American Oak barrel staves. I know these are steam bent. Could they be useful as a bowery wood?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Scott.

cmoore

Re: American (White?) Oak limbs

#2 Post by cmoore » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi scott

Are you talking about using the white oak as a lamination, or using it as a solid piece and making a 'selfbow' type limb?
I know that white oak can be used to make selfbows so I can't see it being all that bad to use.

:twocents-mytwocents:
Set Happens

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: American (White?) Oak limbs

#3 Post by greybeard » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:44 pm

Scott welcome to Ozbow.
scottgze wrote:...... I have access to many American Oak barrel staves. I know these are steam bent. Could they be useful as a bowery wood?.......
Are the staves new or have they been obtained from discarded barrels?

It would be helpful if you could include your general location in your avatar.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....