masters red oak; and laminated bamboo decking?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

cadet

masters red oak; and laminated bamboo decking?

#1 Post by cadet » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:38 pm

Dropped into Masters the other day to see if they'd restocked the 18x42 red oak I've played with while on the steeper end of my learning curve; they'd restocked the rack - but with tas oak instead. Are they phasing it out due to the difficulty/cost of getting it out of North America?

So I went to have a look at their piles of spotted gum decking, and nearby found some 19mm thick laminated bamboo decking; has anyone used that for anything? Is it any good?

Nezwin

Re: masters red oak; and laminated bamboo decking?

#2 Post by Nezwin » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:47 pm

cadet wrote:Dropped into Masters the other day to see if they'd restocked the 18x42 red oak I've played with while on the steeper end of my learning curve; they'd restocked the rack - but with tas oak instead. Are they phasing it out due to the difficulty/cost of getting it out of North America?

So I went to have a look at their piles of spotted gum decking, and nearby found some 19mm thick laminated bamboo decking; has anyone used that for anything? Is it any good?
If they are phasing it out, I'll have to head to my local and stock up. Red Oak has proven to be a reliable & consistent, if not high-performance, timber choice for me.

I've used the laminated bamboo decking for ground lams before. There are keyhole gaps in some places, which have to be avoided and would probably make it a poor choice for a self or bilaminate backed bow.

Nezwin

#3 Post by Nezwin » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Confirmed today that Masters are discontinuing Red Oak in favour of 'Australian Oak', which is undoubtedly the same general species as 'Mountain Ash' and 'Tasmanian Oak'.

Anybody who thinks they might have a use for a little Red Oak down the line (for perhaps teaching simple bow making or even for building quick, easy & cheap bows) would be advised to head to your local and buy a board or two up. There wasn't a lot of straight-grained pieces left at the Wagga store, so good luck!

yeoman

#4 Post by yeoman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:04 pm

It's the end of a short era.
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials