Dying Feathers...

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

Dying Feathers...

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:14 pm

Afternoon all,

Just wondering if anyone in here has tried dying their own feathers and if so what dye did they use and how successful was it?

Cheers guys

Colin

fujimo

Re: Dying Feathers...

#2 Post by fujimo » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:07 am

hey, wayne from canada here- new on here. i use "kool aid' to dye my feathers- the unsweetened, powder concentrate- dont know if you can still get it over there- been outlawed in canada- have to get mine from the states. real cheap- mix up a packet as concentrated as you can , but still covering the feathers- leave it in overnight- good to go- no hot water and vinegar etc etc.

imagine what that junk does to ones stomach!

some use 'Rit Dye' i never have- little more complicated- but great results too.

hunterguy1991

#3 Post by hunterguy1991 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:34 am

G'day Wayne,

Never would have thought to use something like "cool-aid" for dying feathers haha.

I did a bit of looking on here and turned up a thread that included a good little process on doing it with some food colouring.

When these white turkey feathers turn up (if they turn up) I will give that method a crack and see how it goes. Results will be put up on here as well.

Cheers,

Colin

Stu Ballz

#4 Post by Stu Ballz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:32 am

Dharma trading co. Is a great source of feather dye it is cheap and a little goes a long way

hunterguy1991

#5 Post by hunterguy1991 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:38 am

Looked at their site and they have several types of dye that are suitable for dying feathers. Is there any particular type of dye of theirs that you have used for feathers?