One for Roadie and his mate

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

One for Roadie and his mate

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:27 am

Couple of months back Roadie asked me if it would be possible for me to make him up an ELB for himself and possibly a mate of his down that way that's always wanting to borrow one of his bows...

Now knowing Roadie only shoots ELB's, I was a little shocked and very honoured that he would want one of my bows.

After a brief discussion about the design we came up with a 36-38lb @28", 72-74" ntn, hickory back, horn nocks and "make it a bit fancy" were the words he used I believe :biggrin: the rest was up to me.

Few weeks passed while I was working on other projects then I finally got round to making it up in a hope that it would make it down for the Mildura Trad shoot (courier let me down on that one :x )

In an effort to "make it a bit fancy" I decided on a tri-lam of hickory back, Lemonwood core and Massaranduba belly, bit of reflex in the glue up for some added performance... dressed with a buffalo horn arrow pass and 2 tone leather grip I think it turned out pretty well...

Came in a tad under weight initially but at 74 ntn I had room to moved and after consultations we decided to shorten it and it finished up bang on weight we were after.

Unfortunately I ran out of fast flight string so had to send it off with a Dacron one so it was a bit slow.

Here's what I came up with...
Brace.jpg
Brace.jpg (177.55 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
Arrow pass and timbers.jpg
Arrow pass and timbers.jpg (67.5 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
grip and specs.jpg
grip and specs.jpg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
Forgot to get photos of the tips and don't have any at full draw after it was shortened...

Hopefully Roadie will get a few of it in action at some point. Id love to see it being shot down there.

Hope the owner gets a few good years out of it now with much enjoyment.

Cheers for the opportunity mate!! :D

Colin.

bigbob

Re: One for Roadie and his mate

#2 Post by bigbob » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:32 am

great bow Colin!.Very nice.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

hunterguy1991

#3 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:37 am

Thanks Bob!!

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:52 am

Looking good

Nezwin

#5 Post by Nezwin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Beautiful! The timber combination looks particularly good.

perry

#6 Post by perry » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:52 am

Nice Bow Colin, Grant will appreciate it no end !

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hunterguy1991

#7 Post by hunterguy1991 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:04 am

Cheers guys!

Roadie

#8 Post by Roadie » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:19 am

Thanks for the Bow Colin, It is a little Beauty, I was going to keep this one to be used by other interested Folks, but when my Mate saw it, he wanted it no issue, The Dacron string is OK but a new string is needed for it,still it is a sweat little shooter. The Trad shoot finished on Sunday, Bow arrived Monday, as Colin said the courier let him down Badly. Thanks again Colin, people who have seen the Bow are quite impressed by it. When you are up and running again Colin will talk to you again about another one. Cheers Roadie.