A Cardboard Tube and Table Runner;

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

A Cardboard Tube and Table Runner;

#1 Post by greybeard » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:24 pm

I was in need of a suitable container to transport one of my sleeve type takedown longbows and came up with the following design. Commercially available cases were either too short or way too long.

A quick search in my rag bag yielded an old table runner, tufted on one side and lined with cotton that would be suitable for the soft case. I had a cardboard tube that would be suitable for the outer case.

My sewing machine skills leave a lot to be desired and after several hours of frustration a barely acceptable soft case was completed.

The cardboard tube was trimmed to length using the bandsaw and ply wood end plugs were shaped and glued up, one glued in one end and the other a push fit. For air travel the removable plug would need to be secured.

Three coats of acrylic clear were sprayed on to the cardboard to provide some degree of moisture proofing.

I saved quite a few dollars with this d i y project.
Takedown Bow Tube.jpg
Takedown Bow Tube.jpg (115.6 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

rodlonq

Re: A Cardboard Tube and Table Runner;

#2 Post by rodlonq » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:43 pm

Very resourceful Daryl. I use 90 mm stormwater PVC. The glue on and screw on caps are cheap, as is the pipe. I think it cost about $12 for a 6 ft longbow tube. Getting hold of table runners is a different story, you are obviously a brave man to go down that path ;-)

There is something very appealing about a two piece longbow, it is so compact for travel purposes.

Cheers... Rod

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:31 pm

well done Daryl

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Nice work Daryl. I use the cardboard tubes from the centre of curtain rolls as transport when shipping bows.Wall thickness approaching 1/2'' so can stand a bit of a knock, but doubt if they would handle being run over by a forklift :lol: :lol: :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com