longbow #2

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Tyler Atkinson

longbow #2

#1 Post by Tyler Atkinson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Here's a few pics of my second longbow build.
It really gets addictive once you make the first one, Start having different ideas and different things I want to try.
This one I have made in a lighter poundage for shoulder recovery after my reconstruction about 6 weeks ago.

Riser is cambia ash and walnut with a rock maple strip, and limbs are rock maple with black fiberglass

I was meaning to take more pictures along the way but got caught up in doing it and kept forgetting.

These are the negative and positive jigs I made up for the riser.

This is the handle glued up with tightbond3

Riser squared up after drying ready for fadeouts

Fade outs cut

I rip my laminations through at 40mm and them through to the thickness I want

Creating the taper on my laminations, this is my master taper with a lamination in it about to go through the widebelt sander

Cutting the angle onto the bottom of the laminations

Ready for glue up

Glued up and in the drying room

here is where I missed a fair few steps haha

Almost finished, read for final sanding and finishing coats

I Will Post up some pictures of it finished this week once its all done

Thanks
Tyler
TJ ATKINSON
HANDMADE KNIVES
AUSTRALIA

tjknives@gmail.com
www.tjatkinsonknives.webs.com

cmoore

Re: longbow #2

#2 Post by cmoore » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi Tyler
That's a great lookin bow! Very nice combination of timber, the black glass on the back even contrasts nicely
Excellent job I say....full draw pic?
Set Happens

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Tyler! I'm seriously impressed with your work. You seem to have a methodical way of going about it and your work is very good especially for the limited experience so far! . Addictive? Ha ! you better believe it! the only qualm i would have is in using titebond for riser glue ups. I know its used in all wood bows and I use it myself at times but I just prefer to use smooth on for all my serious work. There is no discernible reason for this but just believing in a good safety margin.Keep up the great work!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Tyler Atkinson

#4 Post by Tyler Atkinson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:49 pm

cmoore wrote:full draw pic?
There will be one to come, I am just finishing it off now so will hopefully get a couple pictures tomorrow if im home before dark

Cheers
TJ ATKINSON
HANDMADE KNIVES
AUSTRALIA

tjknives@gmail.com

Tyler Atkinson

#5 Post by Tyler Atkinson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:52 pm

[quote="bigbob"]Tyler! the only qualm i would have is in using titebond for riser glue ups. I know its used in all wood bows and I use it myself at times but I just prefer to use smooth on for all my serious work. There is no discernible reason for this but just believing in a good safety margin. [quote]

Thanks,
The rest of the bow I have glued up with techniglue.
The day I glued up the riser we were out of techniglue and waiting for it to be delivered or I would have used it. due to the ice on the roads the trucks were running a fair bit behind.

Thanks
Tyler
TJ ATKINSON
HANDMADE KNIVES
AUSTRALIA

tjknives@gmail.com

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Looking good

rodlonq

#7 Post by rodlonq » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:51 pm

Great looking bow there Tyler.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Very nice work Tyler, once the bug has bitten you just keep going and taking the next bow to a new level.

The Cambia ash is interesting, is it white ash with the following treatment? I believe Brittons' Timber carry a few varieties of treated timber.

“The Cambia thermal modification process - a clean and energy efficient technology - uses high heat in a controlled atmosphere to improve both the dimensional stability and the decay resistance of wood by permanently altering its chemical and physical properties.100% FSC ® (FSC-C113479) certified, this non-toxic product provides a uniform coloration and could well be the first truly green lumber resource that performs better and costs less than alternative products developed to replace wood.

Cambia is a great looking product that is changing the way we think about where and how to how to use wood.
Cambia has applied its ground-breaking thermal modification process to popular American Ash, Oak, Maple and Poplar, creating an all-purpose, all weather products without peer.
By reducing the ability of wood to absorb moisture, Cambia has produced a dimensionally stable, decay resistant timber.

It is particularly suited to humid conditions where it is less prone to movement than traditional timbers. Applied finishes last longer on Cambia and maintenance is also reduced. Because it sequesters the carbon in wood, Cambia products have a rich, brown colour perfectly suited to modern domestic and commercial applications.
Cambia’s thermal modification process also removes the nutrients in wood that can provide a food source for insects and wood-destroying fungi. As a result, Cambia products do not contain any toxic chemicals.”

Daryl.

By the way you appear to have some good workshop tools.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Muz1970

#9 Post by Muz1970 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:16 pm

Great work Tyler

Tyler Atkinson

#10 Post by Tyler Atkinson » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:07 pm

greybeard wrote:Very nice work Tyler, once the bug has bitten you just keep going and taking the next bow to a new level.

The Cambia ash is interesting, is it white ash with the following treatment? I believe Brittons' Timber carry a few varieties of treated timber.

“The Cambia thermal modification process - a clean and energy efficient technology - uses high heat in a controlled atmosphere to improve both the dimensional stability and the decay resistance of wood by permanently altering its chemical and physical properties.100% FSC ® (FSC-C113479) certified, this non-toxic product provides a uniform coloration and could well be the first truly green lumber resource that performs better and costs less than alternative products developed to replace wood.

Cambia is a great looking product that is changing the way we think about where and how to how to use wood.
Cambia has applied its ground-breaking thermal modification process to popular American Ash, Oak, Maple and Poplar, creating an all-purpose, all weather products without peer.
By reducing the ability of wood to absorb moisture, Cambia has produced a dimensionally stable, decay resistant timber.

It is particularly suited to humid conditions where it is less prone to movement than traditional timbers. Applied finishes last longer on Cambia and maintenance is also reduced. Because it sequesters the carbon in wood, Cambia products have a rich, brown colour perfectly suited to modern domestic and commercial applications.
Cambia’s thermal modification process also removes the nutrients in wood that can provide a food source for insects and wood-destroying fungi. As a result, Cambia products do not contain any toxic chemicals.”

Daryl.

By the way you appear to have some good workshop tools.

Hi Daryl,
Yes it is and this is stock from Brittons timber. We use it in outdoor furniture from time to time and I had put a few off cuts to the side a while ago thinking I would use it somewhere.

Thanks
Tyler
TJ ATKINSON
HANDMADE KNIVES
AUSTRALIA

tjknives@gmail.com

Tyler Atkinson

#11 Post by Tyler Atkinson » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:07 pm

Thanks for the comments guys

Heres some pictures of it all finished off ready to tune up

Thanks
TJ ATKINSON
HANDMADE KNIVES
AUSTRALIA

tjknives@gmail.com

rodlonq

#12 Post by rodlonq » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Nice timber selection Tyler and your joinery looks perfect. Do you have a lot of taper in the limbs or a very long draw length? The full draw pic looks like it could maybe bend a bit more on the inner third of the limb and be a bit stiffer towards the tips. Probably just the camera angle ;-) Great work mate.

Cheers... Rod

Tyler Atkinson

#13 Post by Tyler Atkinson » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:51 pm

rodlonq wrote:Nice timber selection Tyler and your joinery looks perfect. Do you have a lot of taper in the limbs or a very long draw length? The full draw pic looks like it could maybe bend a bit more on the inner third of the limb and be a bit stiffer towards the tips. Probably just the camera angle ;-) Great work mate.

Cheers... Rod

Hi Rod,
I Have a 31 1/2" draw so it is a little long, haha

I do have a fair taper on the laminations, they are about 2.7mm down to .9mm over the 920mm length.

Thanks
Tyler
TJ ATKINSON
HANDMADE KNIVES
AUSTRALIA

tjknives@gmail.com

rodlonq

#14 Post by rodlonq » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:01 am

OK mate, yes you have a long draw alright. How long is your bow NTN? I use the same rate in the whole stack (4 x 0.0015"/" tapers instead of 3 x 0.002"/" tapers).

Cheers...Rod

Tyler Atkinson

#15 Post by Tyler Atkinson » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:08 pm

rodlonq wrote:OK mate, yes you have a long draw alright. How long is your bow NTN? I use the same rate in the whole stack (4 x 0.0015"/" tapers instead of 3 x 0.002"/" tapers).

Cheers...Rod

It's about 70" Rod, I haven't actually measured it just kept it as long as posible.

Yea I am going to make up a couple more master tapers at different rates and see how they shoot.
This one seems to shoot a lot smoother them my first one which I had a lot less taper on.

Cheers
Tyler
TJ ATKINSON
HANDMADE KNIVES
AUSTRALIA

tjknives@gmail.com