Dipping question

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Stu Ballz

Dipping question

#1 Post by Stu Ballz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:32 am

When dipping your arrows do you use acrylic or enamel and what ratio do you dilute to with thinners so it is not so thick ?
I have been painting it all on with my crester and I think that it is time to start dipping.
I have already made my dipping tubes and am ready to go.
I am also after some feather choppers I have 4 & 5in shield for my Vario and am after any others if anyone has some they would like to part with.
Thanks in advance for any and all input and advice.
Stuart

AndyF

Re: Dipping question

#2 Post by AndyF » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:23 am

Hey Stuart,

Pretty much always used acrylics as they're easier to thin with water and clean up. Can't tell you the dilution amounts, but it's usually less than you'd think, maybe 10-20 water to paint - experiment a bit. The main thing is to stir your paint beforehand to mix it. Don't shake it or it will end up full of bubbles which end up 'setting' in your dipped crowns.

And before you dip, make sure you've got somewhere to stand them at the ready that doesn't involve dripping paint over your floors.

Hope that helps a little.

Andy

Stu Ballz

#3 Post by Stu Ballz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:40 am

Haha yep got the dripping area sorted already.

Thanks for the help.

Stu Ballz

#4 Post by Stu Ballz » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:26 pm

ok so my first attempt was a complete failure. went to Bunnings and bought a nice bright quick dry yellow acrylic dipped my first arrow and let it drip dry then did it another few times but it was very washed out and see through.

so today I went to the paint shop with my dilemma and was told that the paint was totally unsuitable. so after 1 1/2 hours of back and forth I came out with a great selection of blue enamel, metallic olive green super quick dry acrylic and lavender quick dry just to cover all my bases.
Ant a total success YAY

I will post the finished product

Thanks for the help

stuart

The Ranger

#5 Post by The Ranger » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:50 am

Stuart, Andy, correct me if I'm wrong, and if you believe my wife I'm wrong more often than not, but don't you have a bit of trouble glueing feathers to enamel paint? I tried it when I was starting to make my own arrows and the glue just appeared to melt the paint and the feathers didn't stick.

That's why I went to water based paint. I haven't had an issue since.

Ranger
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

Ian Turner

#6 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi mate i have usede oil based enamel on quite a few arrows now and stuck the feathers on after painting and have not had any come off.
I use locktite 435 super glus for this purpose.
Cheers
IAN

little arrows

#7 Post by little arrows » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi Stu,

enamel dip, enamel cresting / crown dip hobby paint / fletching tape = no worries. :)

cheers
sue

Stu Ballz

#8 Post by Stu Ballz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:02 pm

I find with the fletching tape if there Is any pressure in my fletching it leans to one side and I cant straighten it up without removing it. I have topped ant tailed them as well. maybe I am doing something wrong ?

little arrows

#9 Post by little arrows » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi Stu,

Only Trueflight feathers used here, and try not to "stretch" the tape on the quill.

cheers
sue

Stu Ballz

#10 Post by Stu Ballz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:27 am

Only true flight used here as well.
I will give it a shot
Thanks

rodlonq

#11 Post by rodlonq » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:14 am

I like Sue's recipe, but would add that I don't use any thinning when I dip. I like the amount of "build" it gets after two coats of dipping. Also I use Dulux bright white enamel for dipping instead of hobby paint, it is a lot cheaper and seems to work fine. If I need to cap with a colour I don't have in can I dip white first and then mask up, shove the shafts through a cardboard box with the masking in the box wall and spray them with aerosol can of whatever colour is required. 2 coats of clear after cresting and fletch. Not having any major drama with fletch tape since I realised that it is not good to stick your fingers on the exposed tape or the shaft before sticking the feather to the shaft.

Cheers... Rod

stickshooter

#12 Post by stickshooter » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:45 pm

Fletching tape is the way to go.
If your finding some fletches are sitting a funny angles it is the quill.
Glue is fluid so it will set in line with the clamp.
I use Bearpaw feathers because the quill's are nicely finished
Remember to put a drop of glue on the front of the fletch :twocents-mytwocents:

Stu Ballz

#13 Post by Stu Ballz » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:20 am

Great info thanks i will hopefully finish them off over the next couple of days then i will throw up some pics

The Ranger

#14 Post by The Ranger » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:24 pm

Thanks for that everyone, I've never used fletchtape before, I've always been worried that it wouldn't stick as well as glue.

Stuart
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.