my bamboo back bamboo belly recurve (photo spam)

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

DrAK DaRippa

my bamboo back bamboo belly recurve (photo spam)

#1 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:06 am

so this is my all bamboo 'horse bow' recurve visual build along

i didn't use power tools, so it was hard work to flatten these as much as possible, a belt sander would have been nice.

i realised halfway through that perhaps my handle was on the wrong side for gluing between the two pieces, so i made the belly into two pieces that butt up against the handle, and added the other small pieces of bamboo to help prevent a break at that point.

i consider this practice for building a horn bow, i found the bamboo an impressively sturdy material, but easy to work

i actually scraped the belly so thin i needed to tiller from the back, the bamboo in tension is thicker overall than the bamboo in compression

the glue lines between these two imperfect surfaces are quite horrible but it works! it's #32 @28 after some set. i think it may go down more with use.

i still need to finish the handle and the tips, but it's working... so i thought i'd share. also i'll take another photo flat on to it to compare the limbs.
Attachments
strung.jpg
strung.jpg (77.19 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
raw pole.jpg
raw pole.jpg (64.78 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
two slats.jpg
two slats.jpg (82.74 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
file.jpg
file.jpg (141.78 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
plane.jpg
plane.jpg (116.23 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
back.jpg
back.jpg (69 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
belly.jpg
belly.jpg (69.62 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
handle.jpg
handle.jpg (128.64 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
unstrung.jpg
unstrung.jpg (77.21 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
full draw.jpg
full draw.jpg (83.57 KiB) Viewed 1996 times

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: my bamboo back bamboo belly recurve (photo spam)

#2 Post by Bill » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:28 am

:smile: For someone that has used no mechanical or electrical tools, I believe you have done a mighty fine job considering. Well done. 8)

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:38 pm

Interesting, is the bow of your own design?
With only hand tools at your disposal it would have made the task even more difficult.

It is difficult to pick up detail in the photographs and I was wondering if the bamboo is slightly is concave on the inner surface or did you flatten it.
The rigid handle section could have benefited from fadeouts to get more working limb.
The extreme bends near the mid limb area will most likely result in total failure of the bamboo in that area.

A few more questions;
Are the laminations parallel or tapered?
Did you arrange the back and belly nodes so that fall in between each other or do they line up?
Whatever the outcome some valuable lessons will have been learnt.

I first started playing around with bamboo Asiatic static tip bows in 2006 and the following link started by Archangel has some replies by me on the methods I used to make these bows.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3714

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

DrAK DaRippa

#4 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:34 pm

Thank you very much daryl and bill :) the limbs are flat for their working surfaces, the tips are still quite rounded on both sides so they do not bend

i'll take a closer up picture of the limbs, they were glued together roughly parallel and then shaved into a taper by eye. i also feel like it should have failed at those big bend points already... i'm surprised that it's still working.
and yes the handle was really a "repair job" in post, but i've now shaved everything down so it looks nice and smooth at the handle, but yes it perhaps prevents just a little bit too much bending.

the nodes were intended to line up, but were not done with precision, they line up very roughly.
this part is hard to explain but...the laminations were not perfectly flat, with say, one left side being thicker than the right, so the lams look either to fat or too thin in some areas, but are glued opposing one another so the thickness is pretty uniform, but my next pictures may reveal this

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:09 pm

DrAK DaRippa wrote:....the nodes were intended to line up, but were not done with precision, they line up very roughly....
The nodes need to be stepped in a similar method to the vertical joins in a brick wall.

The photo below illustrates node placement, ideally the node placement on the belly would have been better as indicated by the yellow lines but I had make the best of the bamboo I had left.
Node%20Placement.jpg
Node%20Placement.jpg (19.51 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
Stepping the nodes help to minimise hard / soft spots in the limbs.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....