String material

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

rooni79

String material

#1 Post by rooni79 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi crew,
Going to have a crack at a red oak board bow and am wondering what string material will be best for it?
Ideally I would like to only buy FF (BCY 450?) string as I can then also use it on my recurves.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

stickshooter

Re: String material

#2 Post by stickshooter » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:16 pm

b50 or b55,fast flight will cut into your board bow

perry

#3 Post by perry » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:08 pm

Pad out your String Loops with a couple of extra Strands and you'll be fine but if you use a 14 - 16 strand String you'll be fine anyway. Pieces of Hardwood, Antler, make your own Micartta by Epoxy Gluing and then pressing layers of Cloth - lots of ways to strengthen String Nocks. I've had Selfbows for Years I've used nothing but TS1 or Dynaflyte and don't run any type of tip overlay and they are fine

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:40 pm

perry wrote:Pad out your String Loops with a couple of extra Strands and you'll be fine but if you use a 14 - 16 strand String you'll be fine anyway. Pieces of Hardwood, Antler..... I've had Selfbows for Years I've used nothing but TS1 or Dynaflyte and don't run any type of tip overlay and they are fine...
I agree with Perry,

I have run low stretch flemish twist strings on all my selfbows for years and never had a problem.
Flemish String.jpg
Flemish String.jpg (84.75 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
At times I will apply tip overlays which is purely for asthetic purposes.

If you are using a continuous loop string add the extra strands in the loops and double serve the loops if necessary.

Bow woods that I mainly use are red ash, hickory, hard maple and lemonwood.

Red oak is ring porous so if you have any concerns add tip overlays to your bow.
End Grain.jpg
End Grain.jpg (95.13 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....