Hickory, lemonwood, Ipe Warbow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

Hickory, lemonwood, Ipe Warbow

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:08 pm

Afternoon all,

Finished off the tiller on my latest warbow today. This one was a reverse of the last one I did with a lemonwood belly. The bow is 84"ntn and came in 142lb@30" (true)... This bow started almost the same dimensions as the lemonwood bellied one I made only 4 inches longer.

At present I only have these 2 photos of the bow in the process of making it...

First photo is a 5 inch brace where it was pulling 120@24"
5 inch brace 120@24 (640x425).jpg
5 inch brace 120@24 (640x425).jpg (137 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
Second photo is the bow at 26" where it came to 130lbs.
130@26 (640x425).jpg
130@26 (640x425).jpg (134.58 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
I have some video footage of myself shooting the bow (yes I actually can, and I'm very surprised!! :mrgreen: ) so I will try to pull a photo from it at full draw in hand to look at the tiller at full draw.

Colin

perry

Re: Hickory, lemonwood, Ipe Warbow

#2 Post by perry » Tue May 26, 2015 8:05 pm

I don't know what staggers me the most Colin, the number, quality, Draw Weights or that you can Shoot them.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Tue May 26, 2015 8:17 pm

hunterguy1991 wrote:......The bow is 84"ntn and came in 142lb@30" (true).....
My muscles ache just thinking about that sort of draw weight.

I am not sure if it is the angle of the bow in the photograph but is there a bit of a soft spot about midway on the right hand side limb?

Although it is early days have you been able to form an opinion on the suitability of the milled lemonwood as a bow material.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

hunterguy1991

#4 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:29 pm

Cheers Perry!! Means a lot mate. I will have this at the Abbey so come by for a look at it in person!!

This one will be staying with me (I don't know anyone else that could actually shoot it) but the Lemonwood one is going over to NZ for some warbow enthusiasts to put it through its paces (and maybe even used in a display!!)

Got a shot from the videos we got today at full draw so here it is... Dennis, I kept it a bit stiff in the handle just for you :D
Full draw 31 and a half inch arrow (326x640).jpg
Full draw 31 and a half inch arrow (326x640).jpg (194.86 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
Looking at this the top tip might need a little tickle to get it right but that could be the camera angle... they will be thinned some when the horns go on anyway.

Still, very happy with it and that I can shoot it!! Ipe belly held up a treat. After the dozen or so shots this arvo it was dead straight right after unstringing it but after letting it sit for an hour or 2 its back to 1/2" of reflex... This thing might make the 250yd mark with the right arrow... Something VERY STIFF!!

Colin

Dennis La Varenne

#5 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Gorgeous bend there Colin. What else to say. Have a look at this bloke's site in the US. I have a couple of his Hickory ELB in a more manageable draw weight for me. He is a very good bowyer too.http://www.ebay.com/sch/archeybowman/m. ... pg=&_from=
I will put up a post on the circularity of tillering shortly. It is based on radians and I worked it out by accident.

I notice in your first two pictures that you have the correct early bend in your limbs. The tips should start to 'curl' up before there is any visible bending in the middle 1/3 of the bow. It is only at full draw that the mid-section of the bow should work. My belief is that this is where the power of the design comes from.

On your bow in the last pic, I doubt if you ran a straight edge around the belly, there would not be a single place where it was not well rounded.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

hunterguy1991

#6 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks Dennis!

Shes a bit of a brute and difficult to get a bend all the way round like that but by jeez does she throw an arrow!! :biggrin: 1250grain arrows well over 200yards and short of full draw.

I think after a few weeks of decent practise it will be more comfortable, then I may shorten it and get 150lbs+.

I have seen that guys work, he does some very nice bows. Im actually in talks with a lad in Singapore about getting some bows made for him and this was the fellow that he got his last ones off, his remarks were that they're well made and perform well too.

Finally got some horns so I can get this one completely finished along with the 100lb lemonwood bellied one I made recently. tested it over the weekend and the results were it can outshoot my 120lb Ash because it has no set at all...

Colin

Dennis La Varenne

#7 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:20 pm

Colin,

What about leaving the tri-lam as is for a good while and get used to it at its present weight before shorting it. When you are truly used to it and can shoot it effortlessly, my guess is that you will get even better distance from it. If it proves well by then, then I would short it a bit.

What was the draw weight of the Lemonwood belly bow. I do remember reading your post but cannot recollect its weight.

My comment above about the mid-section of the ELB being the last portion to bend is based on personal observation of the movement of bowtips so far as I can see them without a time lapse camera. My new iPhone has that setup I believe. But it seems to me that most bows seem to move tips before or at least simultaneously with the centre section of the bow. ELBs well designed and tillered seem to draw from the tips first and the bend seems to 'roll up' from the tips and in toward the mid-section. When loosed, the reverse seems to occur - that the mid-section begins to unbend progressively and brings the outer limbs behind it in an unrolling motion if that makes sense. I am probably wrong in this observation, but I have tried to look at some YouTube sites and slow them down where possible and it seems to me that this is the action of the limbs - more so since the bow bends through the handle as well.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

hunterguy1991

#8 Post by hunterguy1991 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:22 pm

Dennis,

I will give a thorough testing before its shortened at all. I want to see how far I can get it as is.

The lemonwood bow is 100lb@30" true but has no set at all so its cast is very good.

Both of these bows bend how you described... I can actually feel the bow bend through the handle late in the draw on each of them, which is a little odd the first few times but you get used to it. They are my best work so far and i'm very pleased with the comments some very well known makers have made on them on facebook.

Colin

Dennis La Varenne

#9 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:37 pm

Colin,

That's excellent. It is really satisfying to get that level of feedback on one's work. I applaud you. You have come a very long way in a very short time indeed.
Dennis La Varénne

hunterguy1991

#10 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:43 am

Thanks Dennis!

Would not have gotten to where I am without your help and guidance tho so I cant thank you enough.

Must be some English blood in me somewhere because I just really enjoy making and shooting these bows.

Colin

Dennis La Varenne

#11 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:21 am

Not at all, Colin
Dennis La Varénne