Questions on longbow making

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Tyler Atkinson

Questions on longbow making

#1 Post by Tyler Atkinson » Tue May 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at making my own longbow.
I am thinking of making a 70" reflex deflex
Im a 31 1/2 inch draw length and looking for around 40lb
(buggered my shoulder so have to drop down)

from what I can work out I need 0.040 clear glass
three sets of tapers not sure on taper rate but was thinking around 2mm tapered to 1mm over 36" from tassie blackwood
back and fronted with a .5mm walnut veneer
16" handle with a curved front from walnut and blackwood strips in it

am I on the right track at all?

Thanks
TJ ATKINSON
HANDMADE KNIVES
AUSTRALIA

tjknives@gmail.com
www.tjatkinsonknives.webs.com

Tyler Atkinson

Re: Questions on longbow making

#2 Post by Tyler Atkinson » Tue May 19, 2015 7:52 pm

I also shoot three fingers under.
so what should it be tillered at?
i've read about 1/8 larger from the top of the handle.

Thanks
TJ ATKINSON
HANDMADE KNIVES
AUSTRALIA

tjknives@gmail.com
www.tjatkinsonknives.webs.com

rodlonq

#3 Post by rodlonq » Tue May 19, 2015 8:47 pm

Sounds like a basic plan and should make a nice looking bow. The thickness of the tapers is the trick to hitting weight. I'll dig up my note book tomorrow and let you know what stack I'd use for my form, but the amount of net reflex has a lot to do with the required stack height.

Do you have any of the materials or a form yet Tyler?

If you want it to look like a longbow when strung you might need more taper, otherwise it might have a bit of a recurve look about it. Again that depends on where the reflex and reflex are in your design.

Cheers... Rod

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Wed May 20, 2015 9:24 am

Tyler, the following may give you a starting point but I must point out that the suggested numbers refer to Bingham's limb design.

"QUESTION: How do I determine the thickness of my limbs?

ANSWER: You can find the Bingham Bow Draw Weight Chart here. For our recurves, the limb thickness is composed of 2 pieces of Bo-tuff, 1 parallel, and 1 taper (.002”). The total limb thickness is the sum of all four layers, the taper being measured at the butt end. For our 1 piece longbows and our shallow t/d. longbow, the limb thickness is composed of 2 pieces of Bo-tuff, 3 parallels, and 1 taper (.002”). The total limb thickness is the sum of all six layers, the taper being measured at the butt end. For our pronounced t/d. longbow, the limb thickness is composed of 2 pieces of Bo-tuff, 1 regular taper (.002”), 1 parallel, and 1 reverse taper (.002”). The reverse taper is simply a taper that is reversed so that the thin end of the taper is at the butt end of the limb. The total limb thickness is the sum of all five layers, the regular taper being measured at the butt end and the reverse taper being measured at the thin end. In the case of the t/d. bows, the wedge is never considered part of the limb thickness. Additionally, please note that this chart is accurate for Bingham Bows and designs only. We are happy to offer advice if you are using your own design, but we cannot guarantee an accurate limb thickness for different designs.
If you are ordering a limb lamination kit from us and plan on following one of the Bingham Bow designs you do not need to figure out your limb thickness. Please just state your desired weight, width, length, and draw length and we will figure out the rest for you."

Bow Draw Weight Chart.jpg
Bow Draw Weight Chart.jpg (239.73 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
You can down load their online catalogue to see the limb profiles.

http://www.binghamprojects.com/

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....