Flexible Steam Tunnel

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Flexible Steam Tunnel

#1 Post by greybeard » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:25 pm

The following method could simplify the steaming of limb profiles for selfbows.

The bow form could be laid on its side and raised on blocks to allow clearance for the plastic sleeve.

I believe that this method will remove the guess work as to how long to steam the limb to make it pliable.

Have some clamps handy and once steam has been accomplished for fifteen to twenty minutes position the clamps over the stave and form and apply gentle pressure,
every five to ten minutes or so tighten the clamps until the stave is clamped firmly into the shape of the form.

Allow to cool and remove the stave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--iPQIwSEJM

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

rodlonq

Re: Flexible Steam Tunnel

#2 Post by rodlonq » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:39 pm

Thanks for sharing the video Daryl. What a simple but successful idea.

Cheers... Rod

AlexanderArcher

#3 Post by AlexanderArcher » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:01 am

Daryl,

It looks like some of the moisture is making the bag stick to the timber. Is it possible that this would cause some stiff spots within the wood?

Alex.

Sabinus

#4 Post by Sabinus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:05 pm

I'm guessing the wood conducts the heat well enough that the whole piece would be at the same temp, and would bend evenly.

Clever!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:16 pm

AlexanderArcher wrote:It looks like some of the moisture is making the bag stick to the timber. Is it possible that this would cause some stiff spots within the wood?
Alexander,

I have not tried this method to date so it could be an experiment for you to try and then post the results.
Sabinus wrote:I'm guessing the wood conducts the heat well enough that the whole piece would be at the same temp, and would bend evenly.
Darren,

I think you are fairly close to the mark, steaming time may vary a little but until it is tried in a bowyers application we won't know for certain.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

hunterguy1991

#6 Post by hunterguy1991 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:12 am

The inside of the bag should be at the same temp so the timber should be heated evenly along its length.