TECHNIGLUE

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Mattkaye

TECHNIGLUE

#1 Post by Mattkaye » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:34 am

Used the TECHNIGLUE for the first time today making a glass lam bow. And within 30 minutes it had started to harden. I'm now a little worried that it won't glue the lams together as it took me 45 minutes in total to glue all the lams together and clamp them down with the rubber bands. Anyone els used it before?

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: TECHNIGLUE

#2 Post by greybeard » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:47 pm

I have glued up well in excess of thirty bows using Techniglue without any problems.

Beaware that the the pot life is goverened by ambient temperature so as temperature increases pot life decreases.

The best way to overcome this issue is to do two or three sepatate glueups, depending on the number of components to be brought together.

I have had excellent results with Techniglue but switched to Smoothon some years back because of its extended pot life and using heat strip curing.
tech_glue_r60.pdf
(80.08 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mattkaye

#3 Post by Mattkaye » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:54 pm

Thanks Daryl

I was thinking next to do as you said. Do the bow in two seperate glue ups. And the temperature was not helping at all ( 36C )

Also did you use a hot ow with the TECHNIGLUE? It says to cure at room temp so I just let it do that, although at my room temp it will be more like a semi hot box cure.

Thanks
Matt

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Mattkaye wrote: And the temperature was not helping at all ( 36C )
I remember years back when I was cruising along glueing a bamboo back to a bow and suddenly the glue started to gell, I picked up the pace and managed to get the clamps on, with the glue at a jelly like consistency gradually ozing from the join.

That prticular day the temperature was 42c.

I cured the bows at ambient temperatures, and after 24 hours did some basic shaping, tip overlays etc but the limbs were not subjected to tension for 72 hours.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mattkaye

#5 Post by Mattkaye » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:16 pm

I should be good then as I have to glue some tip overlays ect on then shape before putting the sting on. So fingers crossed it will turn out ok