Another Osage

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

cmoore

Another Osage

#1 Post by cmoore » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:27 pm

G'day gang

Just roughed out a bow today from a short stave I had that didn't look very promising.
Turned out a bit better than expected, however when looking at it profile it is very wavy so should be an interesting challenge, I'm also leaving this knot in as it should look pretty cool when she's all finished, I'm thinking about backing her with some snake skin hide, does anyone know if I'd run into any dramas with customs for ordering some in?

Cheers

Bow is 41" long
20150308_174647-1.jpg
20150308_174647-1.jpg (176.1 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
20150308_174708-1.jpg
20150308_174708-1.jpg (207.03 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
20150308_174840-1.jpg
20150308_174840-1.jpg (277.64 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
20150308_174758-1.jpg
20150308_174758-1.jpg (135 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
Set Happens

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Another Osage

#2 Post by greybeard » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:14 pm

I spoke to Customs etc. about two years ago and it was a definite No.

From memory you can blame King Paul the Humble for this situation.

The imitation look a like may be a little bit difficult to glue to an uneven surface.

Daryl.
Diamondback Fabric.jpg
Diamondback Fabric.jpg (40.31 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:46 am

the 'faux' snake skin from 3 rivers is ok, just wont come up with a glossy finish. Tite bond 3 is excellent for applying. My approach is to put a coat on back of bow and allow to dry and then after applying another liberal coat to skin apply to bow, smoothing as you go. With a straight surfaced glass bow, there is no need to use any form of wrapping or such to smooth it down as it is done during application, checking progressively until it is all completed.Also with the poor exchange rate you will cop a flogging!. They are now about $23 US each , but with around the same for shipping and visa charge, My 2 cost $95 for the pair! If you do get some make sure you glue the skin slightly over the edges and then use a very sharp knife to trim with. I run a thin bead of CA glue [superglue] ahead of the cut which ensured perfect adhesion on the edges.
Attachments
018.JPG
018.JPG (258.69 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
010.JPG
010.JPG (284.03 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

cmoore

#4 Post by cmoore » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:37 am

Cheers for the advice gentleman :smile: .....jeez they came up a treat on that bow bob!
Ill get the bow tillered out first n see how she goes, im tempted to heat in some recurves and make her bend through the handle, should be good.

Wish me luck :lol:

Cheers
Cameron
Set Happens

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:36 pm

Forgot to mention too Cam, if you do use them it goes without saying to rough the glass surface before gluing.
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:13 pm

Just curious, do you make bows in the 66 to 68 inch range?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

cmoore

#7 Post by cmoore » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:03 pm

bigbob wrote:Forgot to mention too Cam, if you do use them it goes without saying to rough the glass surface before gluing.
Cheers bob, shouldn't be an issue though :lol:
greybeard wrote:Just curious, do you make bows in the 66 to 68 inch range?
Yea have done a few times Daryl, from memory they were made from red oak, one had a beautiful lenticular limb shape but was still short of the 66"-68" range....I think it was only 62" but im not sure as I gave it to a mate
Set Happens

Dennis La Varenne

#8 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:00 pm

Not for many years not, but I used to play around with the Plains Indians type bow which had very slight shoulders a la Holmegaard at about 6 inches back from the tips and a 'waisted' handle section with barely enough thickness to keep the outer limbs bending circularly. This one of yours reminds me of those I made back then, but mine were usually just over 50 inches.

I used dry heat to impart the double curve of these bows - pulling the whole stave into a good 8 inches of reflex then deflexing the out half of the limbs until they were straight. The heavy deflex in the outer limb seems to be the reason why these little bows took a very definite circular bend when drawn by pulling out the reflexed centre section which went through the handle. It is an unexpected shape to take when you consider the side profile of the of the braced and unbraced bow.

I have a book at home describing the way that the Omaha people of the Northern Plains made their bows which was pretty much the same width profile right through the Great Plains from Canada to Mexico used by the horse Indians, except for their horn bows.

The other feature even on such short bows was that they had the centre of the handle significantly below the centre of the bow giving a slight Yumi tiller. When I made my Plains bows, I copied the style and they were surprisingly comfortable to shoot albeit had a very short draw of course.

Osage was highly prized and traded right up into Canada from the Kiowa and Comanche Indians of the southern plains, but the northern tribes tended to use White Ash most commonly and coppiced dogwood for arrow shafts.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:19 am

cmoore wrote:
bigbob wrote:Forgot to mention too Cam, if you do use them it goes without saying to rough the glass surface before gluing.
Cheers bob, shouldn't be an issue though :lol:
greybeard wrote:Just curious, do you make bows in the 66 to 68 inch range?
Yea have done a few times Daryl, from memory they were made from red oak, one had a beautiful lenticular limb shape but was still short of the 66"-68" range....I think it was only 62" but im not sure as I gave it to a mate
Duh just another brain fade from me. Well you might turn it into a glass backed selfie! : :oops: roll:
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by greybeard » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi Cameron,

Whilst searching the internet I found the following;

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/SiteColle ... arch09.pdf

Item 4 is of interest, although the article was published in 2009 no action was taken regarding the snake because it was a 'farmed' non endangered species.

If you are after snake skins the ones from 3 Rivers may be acceptable, but do the checks with Biosecurity first.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Dennis La Varenne

#11 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:59 pm

As a generality, if the species in not on an endangered list and they have been processed,ie tanned, and are not raw unprocessed skins, they should be OK. It is the same with staves coming in from overseas too.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

cmoore

#12 Post by cmoore » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:45 pm

Howdy fellow bowyers and crafty, talented & wise people :biggrin:

Thanks all for your info on the snake skins

Here's progress on the new bow. I have retired the long string and braced her up at 4" and so far drawn her to 14",
I am aiming for around an 18" of draw out of this one which may be pushing it due to the irregularaties of the stave as you can see in the unbraced photo.
At this stage i'm thinking I need to get a little more mid limb bend if i'm going to eek out an 18" draw.

This increase in mid limb bend may also be a little hard to achieve in the right hand limb as that's where the knot is situated :think:
20150314_130836-1.jpg
20150314_130836-1.jpg (55.96 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
20150314_130656-1.jpg
20150314_130656-1.jpg (70.29 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
20150314_130723-1.jpg
20150314_130723-1.jpg (106.15 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
Set Happens

cmoore

#13 Post by cmoore » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Alright just did a bit more work tillering, here she is facing the other way now (knotty limb now left hand side) and now at 17" of draw length.......

The question I have is ... if I recurve the tips now, will it affect the tiller in any way? :chores-chopwood:
20150314_152437-1.jpg
20150314_152437-1.jpg (80.69 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
20150314_152449-1.jpg
20150314_152449-1.jpg (48.6 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
Set Happens

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:47 pm

I think if you're looking for more bend, you could get a bit more towards the tips. The last 8 inches or so seem to be quite stiff. It's looking good though.

Normally I'd let our more knowledgeable gurus make the expert comments, but I think most of them are away enjoying themselves at Wisemans this weekend.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Dennis La Varenne

#15 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:15 pm

cmoore,

Here is my analysis of your tiller job. My suggestion would be to put more bend into the middle rather than the outer limbs in this case.
file2.jpg
file2.jpg (302.62 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
My reason is that if you put more bend in the outer limbs in such a short bow, there is more risk of the string departing the bow. However, if you relieve the middle such that the red chord touches the limbs similarly to the outer two chords, you will have enough bend to keep the limb loads well distributed. Even though there will be a significant 'felt' bend through the handle when drawn, unlike and ELB which has more limb mass, there will not be any significant hand shock if there is any at all.

Note too, that the left limb has a much greater degree of bending than the right hand limb. A below centre grip position and a bit more relief in that area as above will correct that and get you a bit longer draw.
Dennis La Varénne

cmoore

#16 Post by cmoore » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:10 pm

Thanks for your advice gents,
im definitely going to increase the amount of mid limb bend, my other burning question is would recurving the tips affect the tiller at all? :think:
Set Happens

Dennis La Varenne

#17 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:42 pm

cmoore,

Recurving the tips does 3 things on short bows -

1. They reduce the amount of working limb because they are static;
2. They increase the draw weight;
3. They prevent the string leaving the bow on very short bows.

They do not upset tiller in any way.
Dennis La Varénne

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by greybeard » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:48 pm

Mick Smith wrote:I think if you're looking for more bend, you could get a bit more towards the tips. The last 8 inches or so seem to be quite stiff. It's looking good though......
Soften the last 8 inches too much and you run the risk of increasing the limb to string angle to 90 degrees or more which could result in stack.
cmoore wrote:The question I have is ... if I recurve the tips now, will it affect the tiller in any way?....
Dennis La Varenne wrote:cmoore,

Recurving the tips does 3 things on short bows -

1. They reduce the amount of working limb because they are static;
2. They increase the draw weight;
3. They prevent the string leaving the bow on very short bows.

They do not upset tiller in any way.
My first concern would be the integrity of the timber around the knot.

Having static tips will help you maintain a lower limb tip to string angle. Depending on the quality of the Osage you may be able to increase the draw length of the bow.

Although the draw weight will increase removing material from the belly will reduce the draw weight if required.

No need to worry about the string leaving the bow.

Daryl.
[Ascham]