And so the recurve journey begins....

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

Re: And so the recurve journey begins....

#31 Post by rodlonq » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:47 pm

Hey Muz, got some boo arras that weigh in at 730 grn, they'll do. I have knocked a fair bit of weight of it so I can use it without too much pain... LOL
DF_Vs_DW_2.png
DF_Vs_DW_2.png (318.13 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
My next closest matched set of arrows will be my 620 grn northern pine 65# spine. Might have to pack the strike plate out a little bit but I think they'll fly good (went through my 3D bunny at lunch time :biggrin: ).

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#32 Post by greybeard » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:28 pm

Rod,

Although you had a little drama during the build the finished product certainly looks the goods, well done.
rodlonq wrote:......These limbs are a bit too much for me. I stopped measuring at 26" AMO draw length cos I am a big chicken.....
Generally I will take mine to 32 inches just to make sure they hold together and even when using a boat winch to draw the bow one can feel a little apprenhensive.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

rodlonq

#33 Post by rodlonq » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Thank you for your kind words Daryl. I owe a lot to you for your constant input to the forum and the development of many of us beginner bow makers. I will think about testing my bows to 32" DL in the future... bit scary mate :roll:

Cheers... Rod

rodlonq

#34 Post by rodlonq » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:08 am

It is still a bit noisy so I will keep increasing the brace height and see (hear) how it goes. Currently at 7 3/4". How far is too far? Not having built a recurve before I am not sure on what Brace height should be good.

After a hundred or so shots I was starting to fatigue a bit so I took a photo and had a rest. More this afternoon.
FirstShots.JPG
FirstShots.JPG (200.71 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
Cheers.... Rod

Mick Smith

#35 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Looking good Rod. It has turned out beautifully. I've seen recurves with much higher brace heights than that, but I think you're probably pretty close to the mark. You won't be able to reduce the noise beyond a certain level, as recurves are just plain noisy. If you're getting good arrow flight, with minimal noise, that should just about do it.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#36 Post by greybeard » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Rod, the bow has turned out very well indeed, it is a good feeling when a plan comes together.
rodlonq wrote:..... I will think about testing my bows to 32" DL in the future... bit scary mate :roll:
Using the boat winch is not too bad, if all hell breaks loose hopefully the bits and pieces will fall away to the sides.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11983
rodlonq wrote:It is still a bit noisy so I will keep increasing the brace height and see (hear) how it goes...
Apart from the brace height could some of the noise be caused by the type of string material and the number of strands?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#37 Post by bigbob » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:35 pm

My take downs which look of similar limb geometry to yours seem to be happiest at around 7 5/8''- 7 3/4'' at which point the noise is quite reasonable.As Mick said noise seems to come with the territory with recurves.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

rodlonq

#38 Post by rodlonq » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:49 pm

Thanks fellas. Daryl, the string is 14 strand Fastflight+ with 18 strands in the loops. I used Buff horn in the tip overlays so this would be an option. I picked up some brush buttons and beaver fur silencers for it today so I will see what happens.

At 7 3/4" brace height the string is only about 57" long. I made it 58" and had to twist it up a fair bit after it shot in (progressively). It is now fairly tightly twisted and I am unsure if I should maybe make a shorter string or keep twisting this one. Does 57" sound a bit short for a 62" NTN bow?

Cheers... Rod

PS; Thought I'd add a photo that shows off the Lacey She Oak a bit better;
RiserCloseUp.jpg
RiserCloseUp.jpg (40.45 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#39 Post by greybeard » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:06 pm

rodlonq wrote:..........so I will keep increasing the brace height and see (hear) how it goes. Currently at 7 3/4". How far is too far? Not having built a recurve before I am not sure on what Brace height should be good..... Rod
I believe brace hight should be pretty much determined during the design stages of the bow.

My recurve bows [one piece and takedowns] were basically based on the early 1970's Black Widow. From memory the limb plains were about 22 degrees and with the forward handle the brace height was around 9 inches.

I believed the better approach was to use a design that worked rather than trying to re invent the wheel.
rodlonq wrote:It is still a bit noisy.......
I should have thought of it earlier :doh: , noise can also be the result of bow inefficency, you may have to shoot some arrows through the chronograph and use the numbers to calculate the bows efficency.

As efficency decreases I believe noise increases.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

bigbob

#40 Post by bigbob » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:11 pm

My take downs are 18.5 degrees, and through trial, have found the 7 3/4'' seems to be the 'sweet spot'. My one piece due to the forward mounted limbs also have a higher brace height of 8 3/4'' measured in the throat of the grip, but measured from the limbs as would be normal with conventional limb mounts would be more like 7'' - 7 1/2''
razorbows.com

rodlonq

#41 Post by rodlonq » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Yes Daryl, I agreed about not trying to reinvent the wheel. I my case I tried to copy the Huntsman bows, I like the look of them.
Huntsman Off-sider.jpg
Huntsman Off-sider.jpg (22.36 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
FirstShots copy.JPG
FirstShots copy.JPG (86.35 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
It kinda looks the same but there are probably a mountain of differences in the finer details. It seems to have higher brace height in the photo above. I obviously made the limbs different, I didn't have one to copy so I designed the limb shape myself. I am looking forward to getting the best tuned arrows flying well and then using the chrony to determine if I have done a good or poor job of the limb design.

I have put on some beaver fur and brush buttons, and adjusted the brace height to 8" and it is fairly quiet now so I am happy with that aspect.

Cheers... Rod

rodlonq

#42 Post by rodlonq » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:18 pm

Making a set of 50# limbs for club shooting. Shoulder is getting a bit sore doing long practice sessions with the 63# limbs.

Brown Botuff ULS, bamboo core lams and Purpleheart wedges
50#LimbsStack.JPG
50#LimbsStack.JPG (99.77 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
And with some glue and heat applied.
50#LimbsBlank.JPG
50#LimbsBlank.JPG (110.75 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
Thanks for looking. Cheers... Rod

UPTHETOP

#43 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:15 pm

Will be good when there done mate, hope the jig for the limb holes line up. Don't touch the sanding until there drilled as you can always play around a little at the end. Good to see your still working on her the lighter limbs will have you shooting her all day.

Cheers Wayno.
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

rodlonq

#44 Post by rodlonq » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:41 pm

The new limbs are almost ready to be shaped and weighed.
1NewLimbs.JPG
1NewLimbs.JPG (71.6 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
2NewLimbs.JPG
2NewLimbs.JPG (202.25 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
3NewLimbs.jpg
3NewLimbs.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
5NewLimbs.jpg
5NewLimbs.jpg (60.15 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
4NewLimbs.JPG
4NewLimbs.JPG (56.13 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
6NewLimbs.JPG
6NewLimbs.JPG (223.95 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
Thanks for looking.

bigbob

#45 Post by bigbob » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:46 pm

They are looking really neat and tidy Rod, hope the weight is a bit kinder with these. Same drilling jig as mine too. I have a pair of 65# limbs that are hard to even string let alone shoot!
razorbows.com