Videos showing the effect of hand pressure on bow tiller

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

BenBow

Videos showing the effect of hand pressure on bow tiller

#1 Post by BenBow » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:33 am

To me these videos show you can't use the rule of thumb for bow tiller. It really makes a difference in the type of grip on the bow and the way the shooter holds it. Because of the higher wrist grip on my bows I will start tillering them 1/8" negative tiller and see how they shoot and adjust as needed. These high speed slow motion videos show some amazing stuff.
Here is the first video that shows the effect of putting pressure low on the bow grip. I intentionally pushed hard with the lower palm of my hand on this video. The bow is 63" nock to nock with equal distance between the top and bottom limb from the string. The nock height is 7/16" above the shelf. I also used and aluminum arrow because they flex more than carbons which helps show the effect. You can also see how much osculation there is in the limbs because the low grip pressure really messes with the limb timing.

High speed low grip effect video

Here's the second video. Same bow same settings I just pulled on the riser grip with my lower 2 fingers which took the pressure off the lower limb. The arrow still flexes some but doesn't kick up like it did in the first video. Also the bow limbs settle down quicker.

High speed high grip video

I'm changing my tiller tree setup to adjust for grip type, pressure point affected fulcrum, and finger position on the string.

Stu Ballz

Re: Videos showing the effect of hand pressure on bow tiller

#2 Post by Stu Ballz » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:59 pm

That is awesome

BenBow

Re: Videos showing the effect of hand pressure on bow tiller

#3 Post by BenBow » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:03 am

Glad you like it Stu. By the way we have some very good friend here in the States named Baltz.