deciding on bow for hickory billets.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

bigbob

deciding on bow for hickory billets.

#1 Post by bigbob » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:51 pm

Having two billets of hickory to play with, I'm debating making another mollegabet , but am wondering about the handle integrity after i have done the splice and reduced the area for the handle dimensions. Seems that I would be removing quite a bit of the 'shoulders' of the splice in cutting the dimensions of the handle area. Would the length of the glue lines in the splice, together with the glued on section of handle suffice strength wise? Also wondering if it will be the most economical use of the billets[approx 37'' x 2'' x 1 1/4'' and quarter sawn] or would it be better to rip them into slats as backing on say a trilam or such?
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: deciding on bow for hickory billets.

#2 Post by greybeard » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Bob, a 'W' splice should be fine if your draw weight will be under 60#.

The red ash bow in the photo is spliced at the handle, the splice being 4" long. It is about ten years old and glued with Techni glue. Incidentally the bow came in at 48# @ 28".
Red Ash Bow_ Unbraced.JPG
Red Ash Bow_ Unbraced.JPG (39.84 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
When splicing leave the saw marks as this helps to obtain a better glue bond with the timber.

Incidentally the handle wrap is 4" long.

Daryl
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:03 pm

Thanks Daryl, I had hoped it would be.What are your thoughts on the most efficient way of using the hickory? Can't help feeling doing a Mollegabet there would be quite an amount of 'wastage'whereas making slats for backing would obviously be the most expedient means of using most of it.
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:28 pm

bigbob wrote:....amount of 'wastage'whereas making slats for backing would obviously be the most expedient means of using most of it.
Or obtain some pole bamboo and make some bamboo backed bows.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

perry

#5 Post by perry » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:38 pm

Hinge Bow.JPG
Hinge Bow.JPG (27.1 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
What about a Folding Bow, I use Stainless Steel Marine Hatch Hinges

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:37 pm

Both ideas of merit, thanks fellas will do a bit of pondering before I do anything in slack moments.
razorbows.com