Osage

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Feral

Osage

#1 Post by Feral » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:41 pm

Hey All,
I did a search for osage in NSW and found a DPI map showing infestations. Apparently it is a pest in NSW, with the worst being near Inverell.
Well I was visiting my in laws last week who live in that area and I asked the old girl if she had heard of Osage orange?
Of course she hadnt. I tried hedge apples and same answer. I went on to describe the tree and she said, "hang on, Do they have a fruit that looks like a green brain?"
Yes I said, thats it.
"Those bloody things!"
She stood up and pointed towards the river and to a bright green tree about 50 metres away. Then another and another and another. Her river bank is infested with them, most over 20 metres high. So I ended up with 3 logs. Not great I think.
One is almost red the other two are orange.
Now just have to ttry and get something out of them
Attachments
osage logs.jpg
osage logs.jpg (228.67 KiB) Viewed 2415 times

bigbob

Re: Osage

#2 Post by bigbob » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:21 pm

Half your luck! not sure what you are hoping to get from them ie self bow etc but any Osage is a whole lot better than no Osage!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Bill » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:33 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hello Feral you lucky bugger 8) 8) :biggrin:

have a look at this link the use of Osage Orange from Tree to Bow.
All the tips, well watching will give you a better understanding than me trying to tell a tale.

I just wish I could lay my hands on some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... xdiiwO4UUc

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:29 pm

The piece on the right has nice looking growth rings.

Jeff

Feral

#5 Post by Feral » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:44 pm

The first piece is twisted. It was hard to tell on the tree. I was only there one day so didn't have a chance to check out all the trees. Apparently they infest along a great part of the MacIntyre river. I saw one on the banks of the Severn River but in Kwianambal National Park.
I'mnot joking when I say there must have been at least ten trees. Trouble is they were old, twisted, and bent. she asked me if I wanted to cut the lot down. :shock: But I did bring a fruit home and planted some up the back.
The right hand piece has nice rings alright. The other is almost a brick red, which apparently means it is quite old. They are incredibly heavy bits of timber. We had to drag them up with the tractor.

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 pm

its nice timber,theres a nice big tree with my name on it next to a creek in inverel where Nephew and i have hunted a few times.......hopefully get it in the future............

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:31 am

What's the name of the creek big fella? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:40 am

Dont know mate,but i do know they find saphires in it :wink:

Hamish

#9 Post by Hamish » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Nice score! Remember you can use any straight sections 36-42" long for jointed billets, or takedown bows. Really nice having a tractor to help you haul out the logs, that stuff is damn heavy to pack out by foot.
Hamish

Feral

#10 Post by Feral » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:41 am

Yep iwas glad for the tractor. I carried the first piece up but Ii was really worried about getting the othertwo up. It took both of us to load them