Degame [Lemonwood] Medieval Bow.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Degame [Lemonwood] Medieval Bow.

#1 Post by greybeard » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Degame is shaping up to be a good choice of timber for the different bow styles.

Approximately three dozen arrows were put through the bow this morning and I was pleased with the bows performance.

The belly of the ‘D’ cross section isn’t showing any signs of compression failure and is smooth as a baby’s bottom.

Timber properties seem to be even throughout the length of the stave as when profiled using vernier measurements at six inch intervals, that when braced the bow was virtually zero tillered.

N to N is 72” as I had a fast flite Flemish twist string in stock to suit that length, I had several made to suit the tri-lam bows I was making some years back.

Draw weight was down to what I was anticipating 55# and ended up with 47# @ 28”. Similarly the flat bow made earlier on came in under weight and it would appear that with the final sanding and shooting in the bow sheds poundage.

At this stage I would suggest making the bow at least 10# over the desired draw weight to allow for settling in.

As a positive the timber is easy to work with, is easy to sand and yields a bow of comfortable mass.

Definitely a timber to put on the shopping list.

Photos to follow later in the week.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

yeoman

Re: Degame [Lemonwood] Medieval Bow.

#2 Post by yeoman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:30 pm

Sounds good Daryl. Looking forward to seeing it.

Did you pay any mind to visible grain, or saw away with reckless abandon like our forebears reported?
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:09 pm

yeoman wrote:Did you pay any mind to visible grain, or saw away with reckless abandon like our forebears reported?
Dave, the biggest problem was avoiding the nail holes when marking out the bow.

Additionally there is a drying crack approximately six inches in length running into the blackwood tip overlay, a knot and some other blemishes that don't appear to have had a detrimental affect on the integrity of the bow.

I have yet to do a Möllegabet style bow and a bamboo backed longbow to further test the timber.

For reject timber used in pallet bases stacked in the blazing Queensland sun I must say that I am impressed with the current success of it so far.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Nezwin

#4 Post by Nezwin » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:32 pm

greybeard wrote:Photos to follow later in the week.
Daryl, did you manage to get any pictures? I'd be interested to see the bow.
greybeard wrote:I have yet to do a Möllegabet style bow and a bamboo backed longbow to further test the timber.
Likewise, I'm interested in seeing these on the forums too, if/when they're available.
greybeard wrote:For reject timber used in pallet bases stacked in the blazing Queensland sun I must say that I am impressed with the current success of it so far.
I might just have to pick a couple of lengths up while I'm in Brisbane over Christmas. For free degame, you can't go wrong, even if you've got to search through an enormous stack for 'the one'. When the good stuff arrives in February I imagine some very nice bows will be coming out of your workshop.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Nezwin wrote:....Daryl, did you manage to get any pictures? I'd be interested to see the bow....
Slightly messed up the tillering sequence and mid limb is a little soft but will be corrected. String follow is 15mm after resting.
String Follow.JPG
String Follow.JPG (36.77 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
Blackwood Tip Overlay.JPG
Blackwood Tip Overlay.JPG (51.9 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
Lemonwood Longbow.JPG
Lemonwood Longbow.JPG (207.5 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
Daryl.
[Ascham]

hunterguy1991

#6 Post by hunterguy1991 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:27 am

Beautiful bow Daryl! I would love to obtain some of this for use in an ELB.

what are your handle and tip dimensions to get a final weight of 47#??

Colin

Hamish

#7 Post by Hamish » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:00 pm

Nice work Daryl, especially with the low stringfollow.
Hamish.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi Colin, the measurements are; handle 32 mm wide, 23.5 mm deep; tips at nock 17 mm wide, 13 mm deep.

As mentioned previously the bows appear to come out below weight for their dimensions, perhaps I am used to hickory and hard maple.

The true test will be bows made from the premium stock when it arrives in February. The price is attractive and I will be carrying a few boards in stock.

As evident in the photos Degame has a tight grain structure.
Degame Comp.jpg
Degame Comp.jpg (186.65 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
Hamish wrote:Nice work Daryl, especially with the low stringfollow....
Thanks Hamish, when I have stock I will be experimenting with steam bending.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

yeoman

#9 Post by yeoman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:13 pm

That looks nice. Far more golden than the samples I have. Are those waxed?

Red Oak is the opposite in terms of its grain structure. You can take a sample six inches long and 1/2 inch square, put one end in a glass of water and blow air through the other end to make bubbles. Not even an air compressor; lung power is enough.

It would be interesting (for me anyway) to see how thick a piece of Red Oak you can see light through the end grain of.

I'd also be interested to see how Degame and say, ironbark compare with regards to their end grain.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by greybeard » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:44 pm

I managed to put some arrows through the Chrony this morning and at first I was a little dismayed with the numbers starting at 133 fps.

As I settled into the bow the numbers were looking better at 147.8 fps.
Degame 45 lb Longbow.JPG
Degame 45 lb Longbow.JPG (41.49 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
The shoulder is still playing up so I knew the draw length was probably a little on the short side.

I would like to get the numbers around the 160 + fps using an arrow with a minimum of 10 grains per pound of draw weight but perhaps I am expecting too much from a self longbow.

What sort of numbers do Ozbow members think are acceptable for a selfbow?

Daryl.
[Ascham]

bigbob

#11 Post by bigbob » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:52 pm

I don't think that speed is an essential quality at least not of the same importance as the actual 'handling' for want of a better word of the bow. i know most self bows I've shot have been whisper quiet and nearly all had a very sweet cast and shock free.The beautiful osage 'snake bow' I got from the US is one in mind, a pleasure to shoot but doubt if a chrono would raise my eyebrows at all.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

yeoman

#12 Post by yeoman » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:05 am

According to TBB I, a well made standard selfbow, shooting 10 gpp, should shoot 100 + draw weight (in lb) feet per second. So yours is pretty much spot on.

Since the publication of that tome, standards have increased and now most bowyers shoot for 'standard + 10' fps. I'm happy to get standard when experimenting with new wood or new designs, but I'm always pushing for more too.

I have a very simple Red Oak litle flatbow that shoots at standard + 10, at only 26" draw. I'm very pleased, and constantly surprised by that one. I didn't even try particularly hard.

So this lemonwood bow is perfectly acceptable, but I'm sure your next ones will be much better.

Merry Christmas!

Dave

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by greybeard » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Dave,

At 72” n to n the bow is well under stressed for my 26 ½” - 27” draw length so consequently the bows limbs are not being loaded up and are lazy.

Although a rectangular limb cross section may have proved more beneficial I chose the ‘D’ section to see how the lemonwood held up under compression.
To date the belly is in pristine condition.

Reworking the bow to 66” n to n should improve performance and hopefully without sacrificing stability.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

perry

#14 Post by perry » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:19 pm

Real Nice Bow Daryl. The fastest Straight Limbed Selfbow I have Chronied was made from Turpentine drew 46# at my 28" Draw, shooting 450 - 470 grain Arrows it peaked at 163 fps, most around the 160 fps. It was 65" NTN and used a Lenticular Cross Section. Most Selfbows I've Chronied where in the 140 - 150 fps Range.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by greybeard » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:38 am

Hi Dave and Perry,

I believe the lemonwood bow could be an ideal candidate for the”Doomed Bow” treatment.

Once reworked the hard rock maple doomed bow settled in at 42# and achieved 153.2 fps at 11 grains per pound.

For those unfamiliar with the bow I have included the link for anyone who is interested.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11851

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Gringa Bows

#16 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:43 am

looking good Daryl :wink:

perry

#17 Post by perry » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:10 pm

I remember the Doomed Bow Daryl, why not Mate, worst that can happen is you'll learn something

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin